Research paper help....

Need help on the person to do my paper on. It has to be on a famous person who has been through conflict. The paper is strictly on conflit, thats where Im having trouble. I have to write a whole paper elaborating on what a person went through and what they did about it. (not too hard, just having trouble finding out who).
I thought about doing lance armstrong since everything bad has happened to him and he's still winning the tour de france, but I thought a political figure would be a little more interesteing to me.
Thought about doing rudy giuliani. Anyone (bang I remember you mentioning him once in that old bush thread) know of any conflicts he's been through. Im sure theirs lots....
Any other reccomendations?

moraym

I'd second Lance. Testicular cancer, cancer spots in lungs and brain. Read Lance's book, it's amazing, and should give you all the information you need for a paper.
sorry, know that doesnt help you pick someone other than lance, but that's my choice:)

Lance would be easy to do. So if I dont find anything else thats what Ill do.
Ghandi would be easy too, but boring! Atleast IMO.
Rudy was mayor during 9-11. That would be a very good start. I figured I could write a majority of the paper on that.
Anyone got anything else... thanks for all the suggestions so far.

salty cheese

Originally posted by midwest reefer
boring!

:nope:
I think if you researched his life before or after he left South Africa you would not find it boring. JMO:)

bigarn

Originally posted by DVS
Michael Jackson. If thats not conflict, I dont know what is...

Good name for your spider! :hilarious
:D

dvs

Originally posted by bigarn
Good name for your spider! :hilarious
:D

Um no. I was gonna say she's a female and then I was like, wait..
:hilarious

pwnag3!!

screw politics... how about ray charles?
he went through a lot in his life time.
There are tons of famous blacks that have had a rough time through life... and since its black history month maybe it could fit...

molamola

Richard Nixon, Dan Rather, Fidel Castro, Nelson Mandella, Jesus, Salman Rushdie, the entire Royal Family, F.D.R. and yes, Michael Jackson, who is unfortunately suffering from the flu. Harriet Tubman, George Washington, Roe or Wade, Bill Gates, and Harry Potter.

molamola

Three more...Anne Frank, Shostakovic who voiced his opposition through his compositions, and William Byrd who was a Catholic Composer that was always on the brink of being locked up by the Church of England.

robchuck

Originally posted by MolaMola
Three more...Anne Frank, Shostakovic who voiced his opposition through his compositions, and William Byrd who was a Catholic Composer that was always on the brink of being locked up by the Church of England.

I wrote a biographic research paper on Dmitri Shostakovic when I was in high school, and found him to be a fascinating individual, especially his wreckless attitude against Soviet communism.
Another interesting individual would have to be Jack Johnson, the first black heavyweight boxing world champion. Johnson was so controversial in his time that conflict followed him everywhere. Ken Burns recently produced a 2-part documentary about his life that aired on PBS.