restarting, i guess you could say

hops523

hey all, well heres the deal, I had a small sw aquarium that was set up with live rock, 1 fish, and 3 inverts. After awhile they all gradually died. After the fish and inverts died, I was so busy so I never really got any new additions. So for awhile my tank has just been filled with live rock. I am now trying to start up again. My question is even though the live rock looks dead pretty much, can I add more to make the live spread?And how should I go about doing a water change? Since I assume that all the salt is still in the water, how should I do this?

chadman

what exactly happened? have you had water in the tank or was the live rock just sitting dry? if you kept it in the water and just let the water evaporate then your salinity is prolly so high that it killed off everything living on the live rock...i would do a pretty big water change of the water you currently have in the tank...then i would add enought RO water to bring the salinity of the little bit of water that is left up to 1.025 then add fresh salt water to fill your tank up...do some water tests and see where your at...then do a nother water change or two to get you right...

J

jesses89

after so long... and all that evaporation... hows that tank still full of water?

chadman

then just let your tank cycle again and add a few new pieces of live rock to seed the old stuff

hops523

I really have no idea, it is so weird, awhile ago (a month after)after everything died. I added some water, but its still been awhile.
So I should just let the filters, and everything run? I have all the things I need,but more live rock, and life :) haha.

hops523

Originally Posted by chadman
what exactly happened? have you had water in the tank or was the live rock just sitting dry? if you kept it in the water and just let the water evaporate then your salinity is prolly so high that it killed off everything living on the live rock...i would do a pretty big water change of the water you currently have in the tank...then i would add enought RO water to bring the salinity of the little bit of water that is left up to 1.025 then add fresh salt water to fill your tank up...do some water tests and see where your at...then do a nother water change or two to get you right...
No, I still had water in there, but the weird thing is the water didnt even really evaporate that much. I added a little more water so it was still high.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by hops523
No, I still had water in there, but the weird thing is the water didnt even really evaporate that much. I added a little more water so it was still high.

was this water sitting still?

aztec reef

I would empty it the whole thing , and restarted put a raw shimp to restart the cycle and wait a few weeks..

frankthetank

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
I would empty it the whole thing , and restarted put a raw shimp to restart the cycle and wait a few weeks..
I was thinking the same thing. I would just completely empty the tank and start all over. You can keep the rock, and add some fresh live rock to it to seed the old stuff. Just start all over like a new tank.