Restarting old reef.

joerdie

Hello all. My current cube has been up for about a year now and the coral is getting to big for its home. I am another year away from building a large tank (an upgrade from my old 150 to a 300) and am in the beginning stages of setting up an older one.
This cube was taken down about two years ago and has been siting in my basement ever since. I have two questions. The old cube used two PL-24W 10,000k's. Each one has and actinic and a day tube. I normally replace my bulbs once a year but since these have been sitting off for most of their lives, would they still be usable?
My second question has to do with sand. I still have the arragonite (sp?) that was in use when the tank was taken down. Could I clean this sand, seed it with live sand from my current tank, and use it again?
Thanks all!

joerdie

Bump.
Well, I have bought new light bulbs.
Still don't know what to do about the sand. Tomorrow, I will add it and throw the shrimp in to start the cycle.

loopy101

i would rince the sand out really good and use it. shouldnt be any problems with it unless some chemicals or something like that got into it while in storage?

joerdie

it should be clean. It was sitting in a rubbermaid bin. Thanks for the thumbs up. I may be adding the sand tonight. I am still waiting for an accurate SG reading (temp issues)