Restricking Pump Flow???

areijin

Can I restick the pump flow on the return pump or will this seriously hurt the pump?
The backround is I had a Sen 700 on my 75g tank which kicked out on my so on the fly I had to buy a new one. I got a Mag 950. Now the flow has seemed too stronge for my 75g tank. Some corals no longer open as much. I have checked all other factors and that is the only thing different/wrong. I have a ball valve on the return line so resticking the flow is easy. I just want to know if slowing the flow down to about the 700gph rate woulkd hurt my pump. Anyone know from experience???
Admin....Maybe you can copy this thread into the Equipment one too. Thanks.

birdy

I have restricted the flow on a Mag 9.5 about 1/4 of the way without causing any problems, most likely it would shorten the lifespan of the pump a little but not enough that I would worry.
In any case, you could turn the flow down some and just see if that really is the issue if it is then you can keep it turned down or if it isn't then you know you can keep it up and keep looking for the problem.

jobob

just make sure the ball valve it on the output. but u can always use a spraybar, that will cut the flow by 30%. so u might wanna look at that. plus u get more water movement in ur tank.

scotts

What Jobob said, you always restrict the outlet of the pump not the inlet. Also keep in mind that pumps are designed to work under some pressure. Not sure about your pump and what conditions you have so can't say how much pressure you currently have but you should bea ble to restirct the flow some. I know I do. Also if you can get a gate or a globe valve it will help you restrict your flow where you want it. I have problems with my ball valve and plan on replacing it soon.