results on sw change/test's

dreamer44

ok, before the water change yesterday,
tank
salinity: 32 sp. gravity 1.023
nitrite: 0
amm. 0 - 0.25
nitrate: 5.0 -10 (hard to read the color match exactly)
PH: 7.8 - 8.0
new salt water in the bucket
PH: 8.2
salinity 1.025
about 12 hours after the water change
tank
salinity: 33 sp. gravity: 1.024
nitrite: 0
amm: 0
nitrate: 5.0 -10
PH: 7.8 - 8.0
so does this look ok, anything I should know?
I do have a bloom of the brown algae on the sand and the lower LR in the tank, there were some little green hair looking things on the glass, I used the mag-float on that and so far still looks good.
I think I might put the heater in the back of the tank soon, as the temp is hitting 78 degrees at night now. two nights ago the outside temp (outside of the house) went into the 40's so im thinking it couldn't hurt to have the heater in there....(the one I have doesn't have a dial, but heats to 78 and keeps it there, I will get one with a dial in the near future, so I can put it on 80)
from what Ive read, I think my cycle is either near over, or over. what is the opinion from all of you on this.
Thanks once again for your time and replies, I do appreciate all Ive learned so far here, and I want you to know that I thank you all!
Lori
Oh, yea, and Ive been feeding a bit each morning, and the cleaner shrimp seems to be very hungry,,,,he runs upsidedown at the top of the water, and I watch him stuff his little mouth full!
too funneee...

dstyling

I've heard that your PH should be between 8.1-8.4 depending what you put in there...im a newbie too and my tank finished cyling about a week and half ago...i go the brown algae to but no green hairy things..i was told that the brown algae last for 2-3 weeks because its a new tank. This isn't much info but it's what I've learned from people on here

dreamer44

If Im remembering it right, ive read that PH should be 8.2...any higher and its too high. I can get it to 8.2 in the bucket, but once in the tank it drops to 7.8 -8.0. I know its low, but just not sure how to get it up there and keep it up there.
will have to do some research to see what I can do about it.....??
take care, and good luck with your tank....did you post any pics yet?
Lori

renogaw

ph should be between 8.2 and 8.4
check your alkalinity, generally a low ph is a sign of a low alk. don't bother buffering pH though, as it will fluxuate during the light cycle as your algae produce and stop producing oxygen. also, you can point a powerhead at the top of the water for more surface agitation. i believe your tank is covered so you are definitely going to have poor oxygenation of your tank because there is less air available.
if you have a skimmer (depending on the model) or a fuge (i believe you're working on one) those will help with pH though. so basically don't worry TOO much about pH unless it drops quite a bit. If your alk is low, most alk buffers will raise ph also.
as to the test results: looks great, buying the cured rock and feeding it payed off. i'd definitely add a small clean up crew to start dealing with your algae.

dreamer44

thanks,
and yea, I have a few critters in there now, 3 scarlette hermits, 4 turbo snails (round at the bottom, pointy on the top), 2 peppermint shrimp, and one cleaner shrimp.
I know i need to get a few other things to keep things clean...local lfs has very little to choose from, thats why Ive got what I have.
:(
working on it..possibly going to order online soon.
thanks again,
Lori

renogaw

the pointy ones are astrea snails. try to get 1 mexican turbo if you do order online. or, if you're interested in the chaeto still i can see about a mexican from my tank for ya :)

dreamer44

sounds good, let me know when your ready with the chaeto.... (i have a seperate cking acc that I use for online so I have to transfer some funds to it before I can pay pal,so let me know ok)
also, there are air bubbles all over the sand bed, and their floating to the top....whats up with that??
thanks
Lori

renogaw

are they coming from under the sand, or are your pumps or skimmer making air bubbles in the tank?
if coming from under the sand that is the end result of the nitrogen cycle--your sand bacteria transforming nitrates into nitrous oxide, the natural gas that is in the atmosphere and an AWESOME sign.

dreamer44

Originally Posted by renogaw
are they coming from under the sand, or are your pumps or skimmer making air bubbles in the tank?
if coming from under the sand that is the end result of the nitrogen cycle--your sand bacteria transforming nitrates into nitrous oxide, the natural gas that is in the atmosphere and an AWESOME sign.
Fantastic! cause its definately coming from within the sand! this is great!
thank you
I posted this in the reef section....but Im curious as to what you think it might be....

is it a zoo...?? someone else said it might be...(i hope it is!)
thanks again,
Lori

dreamer44

well ive never accually touched it, its all the way at the bottom of the tank, in the front, on the rock, it doesn't move around at all.
when I did the water change, it closed up and turned white for a bit, when the lights go out it closes up, somtimes all the way, sometimes where it looks like there is just a little slit open. most times its all the way closed at night though.
its orange...Idk...
does that help at all..??
Lori

srfisher17

Sounds like you're doing very well. Keep an eye on PH, consider a buffer down the road, as a last resort-to get PH around 8.3. The brow algae are most likely diatoms; part of the natural cycle process. If they don't go away in time, post another thread- there are ways of dealing with this stuff too. Sounds like you're really enjoying this wonderful addiction!

renogaw

look up palythoas. it has too big of a face to be zoos, although that pic is probably very small.
just keep an eye on it for growth i guess.

dreamer44

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Sounds like you're doing very well. Keep an eye on PH, consider a buffer down the road, as a last resort-to get PH around 8.3. The brow algae are most likely diatoms; part of the natural cycle process. If they don't go away in time, post another thread- there are ways of dealing with this stuff too. Sounds like you're really enjoying this wonderful addiction!
Yes, I am completely enjoying this wonderful addiction...ive been bugging my dh for a swt for such a long long time...I cant believe I accually have one! If I do well with this one, I do plan to get a 72 bow front...down the road,,,I will have the "but I did a great job with my 24g nano....I WANT a 72g bowfront..." and he will just have to give in and let me have it. (although it takes me forever sometimes, most times he lets me have whatever I want..cause, you know....he lurves me :)
I cant wait to see things growing and happening in this tank...its all so interesting, and cool.
soon, I will be putting some chaeto in the back...so hopefully that will help with the ph.
take care,
Lori

dreamer44

look up palythoas. it has too big of a face to be zoos, although that pic is probably very small.
Ok, thanks, im going to look it up now.
Lori

renogaw

Originally Posted by Dreamer44
Yes, I am completely enjoying this wonderful addiction...ive been bugging my dh for a swt for such a long long time...I cant believe I accually have one! If I do well with this one, I do plan to get a 72 bow front...down the road,,,I will have the "but I did a great job with my 24g nano....I WANT a 72g bowfront..." and he will just have to give in and let me have it. (although it takes me forever sometimes, most times he lets me have whatever I want..cause, you know....he lurves me :)
I cant wait to see things growing and happening in this tank...its all so interesting, and cool.
soon, I will be putting some chaeto in the back...so hopefully that will help with the ph.
take care,
Lori
you'll be ready for the 72 when you can put your arms in your 24 and pickup a shrimp or something without gloves :p

dreamer44

you'll be ready for the 72 when you can put your arms in your 24 and pickup a shrimp or something without gloves :p
Now...that might NEVER happen.....remember, Im the one who cant touch a dry potato.....have to stab it with a knife or wet it first LOL

Lori

dreamer44

doesn't look like any of those things,,,,although when its closed it looks like the mouth of everyone of those things.....ugh!
Lori