retro metal halide

enosmeanus

1) how high from the surface of the water would i want to mount 2 175 watt metal halides over my 55 gallon aquarium?
2) would 2 175's be enough or should i go with 2 250's instead?
3) is it true that using metal halide bulbs rated between 12 and 14 thousand Kelvins eliminates the need for supplemental actinic lighting?
4) hamilton or icecap?
thanks in advance...

niger12

I am not an expert but I think the bulbs should be between 8" and 12" off the water. 2 175 would be good but I would go for the 250's that way you will not have any limitations. 20k bulbs have very blue color but everyone I know still runs actinics definately would run actinics with anything lower. Hamilton or Icecap? No experience, I have one balast from Hellolights and another from PFO.

neowind

Most people that run 20k lighting do not run Actinics but if you go lower I would. Some people think that the 20k lighting is too blue and dim looking and running 10k with actinics is a brighter more intense lighting setup. Do a search for jkickster21 i think is how u spell it he has 20k bulbs I personally love the look.

wayne40

I'm running dual PFO 175 on a 55 gal. with the PFO 13K's without actinics 8" off the water looks really great!! and these bulbs are cheaper!!:)