Retro VHO question

hammerhed7

I am looking to replace the stock lighting on my 220 fish only tank, and i am considering doing a retrofit VHO with an ice cap 660 ballast. I am looking for suggestions and pics on mounting etc. Also I know ice cap says 2-6' bulbs is the max on this ballast, I know alot of people that drive 3 with it, is this acceptable? The tank is an in wall, with the equipment in a utility area, so I am able to either hang the lights, or make a canopy. Since no one sees this area function, and budget out weigh appearance.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

grubsnaek

a retro fit will

[hr]
rite into a piece of plywood or somethink like that. im guessing you currently have a lighting system that is not retro fit. so two shelf hangers, a board, and a VHO retro fit lighting system and your done. as far as the number of lamps, not sure. someone else will prolly chime in for that. but my 2 cents says fallow factory recommendation....alsways safer.....

U

usirchchris

I have three 4' bulbs running off of the icecap 660-009. They are held in place by two acryllic L shaped pieces with holes bored in them to put the bulbs threw. The acrylic piece is screwed right into the canopy. You would not really need anything fancy to hold them..the bulbs don't get hot. I would probably just use zip ties attached to a hook (I would pinch off the hooks so when raising and lowering your canopy they would not come off) if I did not have the acryllic pieces.

hammerhed7

I was just going to attach the bulbs to a piece of plywood supported over the tank, also do the ballasts have to be hard wired, or can you just wire a plug onto the ballast and plug it in to an outlet?