Return Flow Pump Type?

effishient

I am trying to decide which type/brand of pump/powerhead I should use as the return pump from my 10gal sump to my 55gal FO tank (also has a few inverts). I'm pretty sure I only need about a 10x turnover since I'm not keeping any corals or SPS. I just want to know what other people use for their return pumps.
I think I'd like to go with a Mag Drive 7 (about 480 GPH at 4'), but am open to suggestions...

J

jfdjason

IMO...I perfer the Quiet One models. I have owned both Mag's and Quiet One's. The benefits I have seen over the Mags with the Quiet One is.....
1. Don't have to service (clean) the Quiet One as often.
2. Seems to run quietier than the Mag.
3. Cost a hell of a lot less than a Mag.
Good Luck

effishient

You say the Quiet One is cheaper than the Mag, but everywhere I looked, its the other way around... not by much, but still. Where did you find the Quiet One cheaper than the Mag?

J

jfdjason

Would sure like to know where you have been looking....I have Never seen a quiet one cost more than a Mag.

low8x2

At on of those "Marine" type online stores/depots.
Quiet One 4000-1017gph-$87.95
Quiet One 3000-780 gph-$63.95
Mag Drive 9.5- 950 gph-$69.96
Mag Drive 7 - 700 gph-$49.95
I'm with you effishint. Most places I've found on the Web the QO's are higher priced. I recently purchased a Mag 13 and am very happy with performance and it is whisper quiet when submerged.

J

jfdjason

Wow...then where I get my Quiet One 4000's for $39.95 is a bargin. Good Luck with whatever you get.

effishient

Wow, that is an incredible bargain... I'm assuming you get them from a local store and not online somewhere you'd be willing to share? :rolleyes:
I will try expanding my search online for a cheaper Quiet One, but if I can't find it, I"ll probably just go with the Mag7 or 9.

effishient

I just did a google search for "Quiet One pumps" and one of the first places that was listed had these pumps at nearly half the price of some of the other sites I've seen.
Quiet One 1200 - $17.59
3000 - $35.99
4000 - $47.99
I'll post again if I find them any cheaper.