Return nozzle

fishfreak1242

What is a return for, a sump, closed loop? Is that at the bottom of the tank? If it is, and its the return for a sump, you would have a big problem if the power goes out. It could start a siphon into your sump overflowing your sump and draining most of your tank leaving your inhabitants with little water.

bpro32

Originally Posted by fishfreak1242
http:///forum/post/2593664
What is a return for, a sump, closed loop? Is that at the bottom of the tank? If it is, and its the return for a sump, you would have a big problem if the power goes out. It could start a siphon into your sump overflowing your sump and draining most of your tank leaving your inhabitants with little water.
Yes it is the bottom and yes it is the return for the sump...
I completely forgot about the chance of a power outage. Can I put some kind of siphon break in the hose coming down from that? Something that would stop an overflow in the sump?

ifirefight

Originally Posted by bpro32
http:///forum/post/2593672
Yes it is the bottom and yes it is the return for the sump...
I completely forgot about the chance of a power outage. Can I put some kind of siphon break in the hose coming down from that? Something that would stop an overflow in the sump?
If it is at the bottom of the tank...It will drain the tank if the power goes out. Generally drains ARE on the bottom/side of the tank,BUT they are surronded by an overflow box...so when the water drops to a certain level...it will stop flowing.

aratroth

You could connect that to a PVC elbow and then a straight piece that goes up to your water level to act as an overflow instead of plugging it. That way, water that is being pumped from your sump will overflow into that drain, go into the sump and then repeat.

aratroth

I dont know if this would work, perhaps others can comment on it but it was a thought that came to me. What if you attached a larger section on the outside of the tank, between the sump and return, with a ball inside that is just larger than the hosing before and after it. This way the pump pushes the ball out of the way and water flows around it, but if the power fails, the water creates suction pulling the ball to plug the hose going back down to the sump. Here is a bad drawing of what Im talking about. I have been up for a long time so for some reason I dont think it will work, but I cant figure out why haha.

bpro32

Originally Posted by aratroth
http:///forum/post/2594000
You could connect that to a PVC elbow and then a straight piece that goes up to your water level to act as an overflow instead of plugging it. That way, water that is being pumped from your sump will overflow into that drain, go into the sump and then repeat.
Thanks but I have another bulkhead for my overflow... This hole was a mistake so no I am trying to fix it.

bpro32

Originally Posted by aratroth
http:///forum/post/2594015
I dont know if this would work, perhaps others can comment on it but it was a thought that came to me. What if you attached a larger section on the outside of the tank, between the sump and return, with a ball inside that is just larger than the hosing before and after it. This way the pump pushes the ball out of the way and water flows around it, but if the power fails, the water creates suction pulling the ball to plug the hose going back down to the sump. Here is a bad drawing of what Im talking about. I have been up for a long time so for some reason I dont think it will work, but I cant figure out why haha.

It seems like it wouldn't work because the ball would plug up the other side while the pump is pushing water the other way. Hopefully someone else will chime in though.

snakeblitz33

oh boy. lol, such bad advice...
So, you already have an internal overflow? Shoot, use that extra bulkhead for a closed loop. Fit in an elbow into your bulkhead with an FTP fitting and

[hr]
in a screen to keep fish, snails and hermits etc. out. Then fit a small external pump like a little giant for a closed loop. You won't have to add any internal powerheads. You could have some nice PVC work done above your canopy for some nice flow.
If you do use it as an extra overflow pipe, put an elbow on the bulkhead and

[hr]
in a standpipe. Let the flow direct down into your sump.
But seriously, I would go with the closed loop - it's perfect! Even with your closed loop you could add in a couple phosphate reactors and a fluidized sandbed filter to prevent ammonia and nitrite spikes. woo!
I'm kind of excited for you man, not all of us are lucky enough to have extra holes in our aquariums.

snakeblitz33

I guess you can't say sc-rew on these boards.
Also, depending on how big your tank is you could use a SCWID and have some nice tidal motion going in there...
Shoot, you could even use it as an extra (standpipe) drain into a separate refugium if you wanted to.
oooo so many possibilities.

bpro32

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2594079
I guess you can't say sc-rew on these boards.
Also, depending on how big your tank is you could use a SCWID and have some nice tidal motion going in there...
Shoot, you could even use it as an extra (standpipe) drain into a separate refugium if you wanted to.
oooo so many possibilities.
I never thought about the seperate refugium idea, and I think I have room to put a ten gallon tank down there, at least a five... but then I would have to put in the standpipe and that is really why I'm trying to plug this in the first place...
I don't want to put a closed loop because I am REALLY confused with all the plumbing going into just this one sump already and I don't want to spend another 100 bucks on another pump.
Great advice but I'm just not sure what I'm going to do. I still might go with the separate refugium idea because that will be extremely beneficial down the road. The only thing holding me back is that I don't want white pvc sticking up in the back of my tank... That just wont look good.
Any ideas to cover up the pvc?

bpro32

the closed loop really would be good though to eliminate heat in the aquarium from the powerheads and with fluidized bed it would be great. I'm actually dissapointed that I have this opportunity and I can't afford to do anything with it.

mr_x

hi. that in-line check valve will end up failing on you. i would not plumb the tank this way. if your power goes out you will lose all the water in the display.
a closed loop os very simple. one hole comes out of the tank, which runs to an external pump. the pump then pushes that water through a pipe, or pipes, back over the top into the tank, wherever you place them.

bpro32

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2594372
hi. that in-line check valve will end up failing on you. i would not plumb the tank this way. if your power goes out you will lose all the water in the display.
a closed loop os very simple. one hole comes out of the tank, which runs to an external pump. the pump then pushes that water through a pipe, or pipes, back over the top into the tank, wherever you place them.
If I have a stand pipe that extends to the water line then it wouldn't drain the entire tank... That was the idea but if I do that then it has to be exactly the same height as my other overflow so probably wouldn't work out so well.