Return policies at your LFS's

woody189

I was just wondering what's the return policy on Live Goods at your LFS.
I'm trying ot purchase a Purple lobster for my tank, but i'm afraid that it may be too aggressive. I'm trying to find a LFS, with healthy stock, that is willing to take it back in case I need to . I called a few LFS that i like and say they won't even give me credit.
A whole lot of the threads i have read on this site tell ppl to take their things back to LFS and that they will give credit. I assumed all stores would do this, but apparantly not. I would have thought it's because they know they have unhealthy stock, but even the good places don't want them back
Is it just my area that they tend to not take them back, or is this usual?
I live in north jersey.
2 good places said no, 1 good place said yes.
1 crappy LFs said no, 1 crappy said yes, they would take it back

1990jpyj

the one i go to(mostly water and inverts) has this policy:
7 -days if it dies(they wont sell you a fish unless they check your water peramiters)
14 days- will take back with a 10% restocking fee (they QT them in the back if they get them back)
30 days- 50% back
+30days- = 0 back, unless they are feeling nice .
its a desent store. not the biggest on corals, lots of inverts, lots of fish, very little equipment
. but they are very nice and they dont really try to sell you on to much. they have actually told me not to buy fish that i really wanted. so i trust them. the prices are a little higher then SWF.com but i dont have to buy a big order to make shipping cost worth it.

apollobeachfl

7 Days.......... That's pretty good. Every LFS that I have done business with says once it's out the door it's all yours even if they die within that time. I did have a relationship with one LFS where they would give store credit on fish that I found to be too aggressive once they were added or just wanted to trade in............

1990jpyj

im pretty happy with them. they did take back a coral banded shrimp that was fighting everything. they didnt really question it, other then why are you bringing it back. they changed it right out with no problems. i havnt had anything die on me so i dont know if they give you a hard time returning it or not, but knock on wood i havnt had to try that.

R

rcreations

Both of the LFS in Columbus suck as far as returns... 24 hours, that's it.

I was moving and realized I could not set the tank back up quickly when I got to the new state. The lfs took back everything, rock, fish, coral, & gave me about 40% back. Some stuff had been in there 3 months to 2 years.

m0nk

Every fish store is different. I have one that's about 45 minutes away and they'll take something back within 3 days, and will give full credit/refund for any fish that dies within 5 days when bought at the store. They also have an "arrive alive" 5 day guarantee on most fish (not all, but most) when purchased online from their website. This store does really good business and has been around since before I was born, and I used to go there as a kid.
Then, the other LFS, the close one, they don't have a return policy for any reason on any item. In fact, I can't even get them to take any coral frags for store credit or anything. This one isn't doing well, especially since the owner can't keep any coral alive for more than a week, and I have a feeling that they'll be out of business by spring.

woody189

1990- I can't believe they don't sell unless you have good water. That's a great policy. most places would be too worried about losing business, but you get loyal customers by doing what they do.
I don't think i've been to any LFS that takes back anything that died.
Thanks for the input. I thought the places i was going to just had terrible return service, but i guess it's not that unusual.

scottallert

once it leaves its not our responcibility

my LFS sucks i bought a goby once 10 min later in the car it was dead i called they said not our problem...

C

crashjt

the one place I usually go to its you buy it you own it as far as death is concerned however if its aggresive they will usually except it back within reason you cant buy a lionfish and put him in with baby clowns and expect them to except him back (kind of a stupidity clause) however they will buy it back from you at the going wholesale rate...which isnt too bad the main thing is to take your time when buying fish dont just buy it instantly I will go to the LFS once a day for 3-4 days and monitor the fish for a bit and then watch him eat before I buy him just to be safe if you do that and you #'s are where they need to be you shouldnt have a problem