return pump decision

chilwil84

i am setting up a 120 rr (has dual built in returns). i have a mag 7 and mag 9.5. has anybody ever run a mag 7 on a dual return. it will have about 5 foot of head pressure. i am trying to keep the return pump at a minimal so i dont return to much more water than my skimmer can handle and my macro algae never does as good with high flows either.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/3144648
i am setting up a 120 rr (has dual built in returns). i have a mag 7 and mag 9.5. has anybody ever run a mag 7 on a dual return. it will have about 5 foot of head pressure. i am trying to keep the return pump at a minimal so i dont return to much more water than my skimmer can handle and my macro algae never does as good with high flows either.
I would go with the 9.5. I run a quiet one 3000 which is in between the two on my 120 and it works great.

al mc

IMHO the Mag 7 will deliver too little water flow for a 120g RR tank. I would consider the mag 9.5 a minimum size pump and personally use a Mag 12 with a value to decrease the return flow, if needed.

chilwil84

thanks guys i am thinkin ur right with the mag 9.5 i decided to pull the return out of the water on my 90 rr with a mag 7 and i really dont see the flow being split in half, and it might not function at all