Return pump on 180

tgruby

My return pump just went out on my 180 gallon. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should get? I was thinking Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC (1225 gph at 3 feet), or Gen-X PCX-40 (1190 GPH), or Turbo-Sea 1090 (1090 GPH).

famous

I have the little giant, kind of loud for me. I am thing about going with the Reeflo Snapper and it only draws 98 Watts.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Famous
I have the little giant, kind of loud for me. I am thing about going with the Reeflo Snapper and it only draws 98 Watts.
The low speed sequence pumps are probably not the best choice for you, or tgruby. The problem with them is that the respond poorly to high head pressure. The Dart, Snapper, etc are low pressure, very high flow pumps that are designed to work wide open with very little head pressure, E.G. closed loops.
Note the 1.5" outlets on these pumps. That makes the area of the outlet area about 1.8 square inches. If you are dealing with what most tanks have, 1" returns, then you are dealing with 0.8" of area. This means that even with two of them, you are constricting the flow (2x0.8=1.6, and 1.6<1.8). Being a low speed, high flow, low pressure pump, it will respond to this with a dramatic reduction in flow. Remember, head heights are based on the pipe being the same size as the pump's outlet for the entire distance. Also consider the pre-existing head height of ... maybe 4' in the average tank where the pump sits under the stand. You won't get much flow.

A better pump to use for these applications (return pump applications) would be the Sequence Tarpon or Wahoo.