Return Pump Overkill

hurt

There's the problem right there using a submersible pump......
Hmmm, did you by chance read his original post?
He specifically stated he wanted to incorporate this pump into his system? That's why I gave him the advice I did :thinking:

tinmanny

The by pass sounds good but I would not let it run above the water level or you will add bubbles right at the pump and your display will show this. I am using a mag drive and have valved it back just a tad that is no different than increasing the head height when you raise the outlet the pressure drops due to back load pressure it is stated on all good pump packages pressure is rated at 0' the higher you go the higher the back pressure and the lower the flow rate.

Manny

ravechild

Originally Posted by tinmanny
The by pass sounds good but I would not let it run above the water level or you will add bubbles right at the pump and your display will show this. I am using a mag drive and have valved it back just a tad that is no different than increasing the head height when you raise the outlet the pressure drops due to back load pressure it is stated on all good pump packages pressure is rated at 0' the higher you go the higher the back pressure and the lower the flow rate.

Manny

I could however plumb it back over to where the water comes into the sump, then, by the time it gets back to the pump intake, all bubbles should be gone.

hurt

I have no air bubbles at all in my system from doing this. If you look at the above picture, the drain off the ball valve comes down below the water line. The ball valve is above the water line, but there are no bubbles coming back into the pump chamber off the ball valve line. This line is completely closed (no contact with air)

hurt

. I am using a mag drive and have valved it back just a tad that is no different than increasing the head height when you raise the outlet the pressure drops due to back load pressure
I agree, but why make the pump act like it is pumping 8 feet (when you put only a ball valve inline) vs. making the pump act like it is only pumping 4 feet (T and ball valve). This just makes it easier on the pump.

tinmanny

I think you are right and I would have done that had I thought of it before now I will wait for a good opertunity to do it. Just reminding if the bypass water comes out above the tank level then he will no doubt have bubbles. but as you said yours is below
Good luck

golfish

Well, I don't know a thing about the GX-8500. I do know that reducing the flow with a ball valve and or adding head pressure reduces the amp usage on pumps like Sequence Reeflo and Dolphin Amp Master pumps. I've been using Mag pumps for years and reducing the flow with ball valves.
I for one would rather have TOO much pump over too little of a pump. The idea of returning the flow back to the sump is a fine idea and I see no problems with that at all. If setup right it could stir up and detritus collected in the sump.
I say we all try to work together rather then work against each other...It ok to bust some bio balls once in a while but we got to keep things in check.

ukcats

Originally Posted by golfish
Well, I don't know a thing about the GX-8500. I do know that reducing the flow with a ball valve and or adding head pressure reduces the amp usage on pumps like Sequence Reeflo and Dolphin Amp Master pumps. I've been using Mag pumps for years and reducing the flow with ball valves.
I for one would rather have TOO much pump over too little of a pump. The idea of returning the flow back to the sump is a fine idea and I see no problems with that at all. If setup right it could stir up and detritus collected in the sump.
I say we all try to work together rather then work against each other...It ok to bust some bio balls once in a while but we got to keep things in check.
I am by no means a pump expert..but instead of just pumping the water back into the sump maybe do as i have done and "T" if off into a fuge and let the fuge drain back into the sump? Works 4 me anyway. Although you sill will have to restrict the flow somewhat a fuge should n't have that much flow (2200-600=1600). Either way..good luck.