Return pump & skimmer for 180g

emmitt

My 180g is finally on the way. It has 2 overflows(1200gph). What is the best return pump and skimmer to get?

hot883

Originally Posted by emmitt
My 180g is finally on the way. It has 2 overflows(1200gph). What is the best return pump and skimmer to get?
Depends on if you are going closed loop or sump. There are several threads on here about them to help you along. (I am no expert).
With that said, I have 2 magnetic drive 1200gph pumps for sale and can be found in the classifieds. (Sorry shameless plug) but may be what you need.
Skimmer wise, get the best you can afford. Maybe go with a GSM model.

emmitt

Originally Posted by hot883
Depends on if you are going closed loop or sump. There are several threads on here about them to help you along. (I am no expert).
With that said, I have 2 magnetic drive 1200gph pumps for sale and can be found in the classifieds. (Sorry shameless plug) but may be what you need.
Skimmer wise, get the best you can afford. Maybe go with a GSM model.
LOL, that was a shameless plug!!!!!
Ironically, that thread is what made me do this thread. When i saw yours for sale i thought they may work so i better start working on it! (Been concentrating on lights and sump)
Yes, it will be sump and not closed loop.
Any other ideas?

boatbuilde

I have a closed loop on my 240gal
LUV my Dolphin Ampmaster 3600
Skimmer is a diy Beckett downdraft run by a Iwaki MD55RLT
Ruturn pump from sump is another Iwaki MD55RLT

turningtim

Emmit you're going to need a mag 18. B/c with head pressure a 12 just isn't going to cut it. The 90 sump/fuge will have no problem in handleing that flow. Sorry been crazy busy, kids are out of school and pulling my hair out (whats left anyway) I'll get back to your email ASAP! The bottom line is we need to figure what will come out of the 180 in power out and account for that in the sump. This will lead us to baffle size. So you're draining 1200 thats good, we can work with that......
Hot still thinking on thos epumps my self, just not in the buget for a week or 2. Going to pick up a 120 tomorrow yippie!
Tim