Return Pump Slow. Can't add more H2O to tank

euphoria

Hey guys,
I have some more room to add another 7 gallons of water to my tank, but when I add it, my wet/dry sump area starts filling up, cuz my return pump can't force any more water back into the tank. My return pump is cranked open all the way, so it's at its max output.
Is there anything I can do? Do I get a stronger pump, or maybe a wider hose/tubing? Or what if I raise the water level and also raise the prefilter higher?
:notsure:

mr . salty

There should be an adjustment on your overflow box to raise or lower the level in the tank.
By raising the box,,,the water raises,,,lowering it lowers the water level.
If there is no adjustment,,try putting something on the lip of the aquarium to raise the box.
If you figure it out,be ready to add water to the sump as the level adjusts itself.

tony detroit

I think you need to post some pictures. Probably the overflow box being hung too low if I am understanding you correctly.

beaslbob

Originally posted by EUPHORIA
Hey guys,
I have some more room to add another 7 gallons of water to my tank, but when I add it, my wet/dry sump area starts filling up, cuz my return pump can't force any more water back into the tank. My return pump is cranked open all the way, so it's at its max output.
Is there anything I can do? Do I get a stronger pump, or maybe a wider hose/tubing? Or what if I raise the water level and also raise the prefilter higher?
:notsure:

If I understand this correctly, you added water to your system and the sump started filling up. Yes that is what is supposed to happen. The system should keep the same amount of water in the display and the increase in water should go to the sump.
So to get more water in the display you have to increase the water level in the display by adjusting the skimmer box. Just as others have said.
HTH.

euphoria

Originally posted by beaslbob
If I understand this correctly, you added water to your system and the sump started filling up. Yes that is what is supposed to happen. The system should keep the same amount of water in the display and the increase in water should go to the sump.
So to get more water in the display you have to increase the water level in the display by adjusting the skimmer box. Just as others have said.
HTH.

And that's my plan today. I don't like seeing the line where the water ends when I look into the display tank. Plus it's still another 5 or so gallons of extra water, so why not add?

beaslbob

Originally posted by EUPHORIA
And that's my plan today. I don't like seeing the line where the water ends when I look into the display tank. Plus it's still another 5 or so gallons of extra water, so why not add?

I agree and the salt creap line above the water looks ugly also. I set all my tanks (yea all three of them :D ) so the waterline is above the top frame. Just looks better.