Return pump

humuhumu1

For a 150 gallon tank what mag drive return pump should I consider? I was thinking a mag 9.5, but maybe a mag 12?

kube

heres what confuses me and my recommentation to you.....
i have a 125 gallon tank and sump. I have a mag 9.5 rated at 950 gph. I also have two eshopp over flows rated at 800 gph each for a total of 1600 gph. flow from the eshopps down is totally unrestricted no 90's at all. Now why the hell cant the two overflows keep up with the mag 9.5 i mean after head loss it pumps no more that 800 gph, what one overflow is rated, and two can't even keep up? (i've asked this question before and have not recieved an answer, many times)
point to my story is are you using built in over flows or hang on the back?...better yet i think its a total guessing game..i would recommend the mag 9.5 for your tank with out knowing more....good luck

aquaguy24

depends on the rate of the water is going down to ur sump..on my 90g..i have a overflow box rated at 500gph..and my return pump is a Quiet One pump rated at 580gph..and its perfect..i don't use a ball valve or anything to even out the flow...

truehle

Originally Posted by Kube http:///forum/post/3099928
heres what confuses me and my recommentation to you.....
i have a 125 gallon tank and sump. I have a mag 9.5 rated at 950 gph. I also have two eshopp over flows rated at 800 gph each for a total of 1600 gph. flow from the eshopps down is totally unrestricted no 90's at all. Now why the hell cant the two overflows keep up with the mag 9.5 i mean after head loss it pumps no more that 800 gph, what one overflow is rated, and two can't even keep up? (i've asked this question before and have not recieved an answer, many times)
See my thread...I think around post #37. I found a solution that worked for me, but I had to go against a lot of people had recommended as solutions. Why? Because none of them worked except for my modification. My situation apparently was a freak scenario. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/356560/headache-forming-from-my-new-diy-sump/20#post_3100435

crypt keeper

IMO you want 10x times the return rate. You should have dual overflows which are gravity feed at 600gph. You will have head loss. So a 1700 gph pump would work best