reusing bioballs in new tank?

cgrant

WOW!
That is an awsome display!
What would I need to do to turn my wet/dry into a fuge?
Its an all-glass #4
Thanks!

washowi

I feel you are still resisting throwing the Bio-balls away... :thinking:
Let them go. Trust us they are not needed. Why do you want to constantly clean something that is not needed in a reef tank?

Live rock and a refugium is all ya need.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by washowi
Now if you do setup a refugium then I agree the bio balls become obsolete, it's what I call evolving the system to the more natural approach. I did the very same thing in October of 2004. Had my 90 with wet/dry and bio balls, then added a 55 gallon refugium with chaetomorpha macro algea, then said good bye to the bio balls.
But understand I never had a problem with my bio balls, because I took care of them and the system. I never suffered from what I would call high nitrates with the 90 gallon.
The bio balls simply convert the more toxic into the less toxic so fast that it seems like bio balls produce nitrates.
Carole I don't remember ever saying that bio balls are nitrate factories, in fact I've spent years stating the opposite.
Bio-balls can work..but they also work so fast they rob the LR's ability to do the filtering...a much more efficient way..IMO. They can become a source of nitrates..and often do
That is simply a more natural way to do it, but it doesn't necessarily work fastor or more efficient.
My whole argument here is that bio balls are not bombs, factories, or even the cause of nitrates. Nitrates are simply the by-product of the nitrogen cycle no matter what surface does the conversion. The balls simply do it so fast they get a bad rap.
Thomas

washowi

Thomas I agree. Now down here in Atlanta, I do not know anyone who has a reef tank that has Bio-balls. We are 300 people strong in our club. In fact I would say the vast majority 90% have fuges. It is only logical. Even with a sump. throw a light on it. throw in rocks, next thing your putting in macro algea. Wola!! a fuge.
Why mess with something that takes time to clean. There is enough crap to worry about in a marine tank.

T

thomas712

All depends on your setup, you can have a reef with bio balls if you don't add a fuge or any macro algae, and it will work, just takes more maintaining.
Now a fish only or even Fowler, or even perhaps an aggresive tank would do well with wet/dry and bio balls.
I've also always though of the bio balls as an early warning system. If nitrates take a jump then there has to be a reason, and it should be sought out, not just sit there and blame something that helped to reduce the toxic ammonia and nitrites, cause if someone figures "well I'll just remove those bio balls and that will fix the problem" then those are the kind of folks that didn't even look for the problem to begin with.
Thomas

cgrant

Originally Posted by washowi
I feel you are still resisting throwing the Bio-balls away... :thinking:
Let them go. Trust us they are not needed. Why do you want to constantly clean something that is not needed in a reef tank?

I dont have a reef tank, fish only for now but will get some LR in about a month or two.
So it will be FOWLR not a reef tank, I just dont have the time for a reef tank now, seems like a reef tank takes alot more time.