Reverse Osmosis setup

ecoman

OK. I followed the instructions in the manual, however it doesnt say if it has everything already installed inside. IT - being a GE GXRM10G reverse osmosis filtration system. Everything is hooked up, except for the waste line. I have a single sink, and it has a disposer! The instructions say not to install the drain (waste) line downstream from disposer.
Here's what I am lookin at under the sink.
I am guessing that I have to come up with my own way to dispose of the waste, for example a bucket or something?? Any ideas anyone??
Other then that the instructions arent very clear about what I am supposed to do when I first start it up. I doubt there is a membrane already installed as it came with one in a bag.
I understand the sanitization part, but what exactly am I supposed to do with the new system? My guess is the other filters come full.. and I am supposed supposed to install the membrane.. Then what?? It says nothing further.
The water is still shut off to the system, I cannot reach their customer service until 8am, of course!
Not a big deal, but my tank is waiting for water so it can begin the cycling process! Is there anything esle I should do to the water after the R/O is up and running? Add chemicals?

weberian

Mine said to dump like the first 15 gallons that comes out of it. There's some kind of preservative on the membrane that keeps it from drying out and it needs to get flushed out before you can start using the water.
I don't have a garbage disposal unit, but I put mine in the basement next to my washing machine and installed a Y-connector at the copper plumbing for the washing machine. The waste line goes in where the washing machine dumps its water. I would not put the waste line into a bucket because it is going to fill up real soon. The units waste more water than they make.

ecoman

ok. i think the disposer has a spot to hook up a drain line.. However this is an old disposer and the hookup is huge! nothing like the 3/8" that the R/O unit has coming out. Its an old building, so I am sure the disposer is rather old as well. Looks like it leaks just a hair. But anyways, I guess i need to remove it and see how i can get it hooked up.. I would still like some opinions on what to do with the membrane b4 i even put it into the canister...

ecoman

yes! all lines are hooked up! The opening on the disposer is for a 1" line, so I simply stuck my drain line into the hole and filled the gap with aquarium silicone to seal it up. Next up, letting that seal dry and continuing in the morning! Then I get to crank it up after installing the membrane! IS tap water that has been put through a R/O system good enough for anything saltwater? Or is there something else I could do to the water to make it as "natural" as possible. I get good readings from my tap water, but the previous salt water I made with it was high in ALK.. I was told the R/O will help that..
The pH was perfect, and the NO's were decent too, but will be even less now.. What else can I do to my water?