Revision on Question Re: Canister Filtration/Surface Aggitation

lcaldwell85

Okay, I think I worded my initial query in such a way that I'm still questioning some aspects of my decision to move the spray bar beneath the water. After researching online I think I've come to a better worded version of the question.
How much is too much surface aggitation, and how much is too little?
The spray bar originally being above the water caused a large spray of bubbles all over the tank. Sure, there was ample surface aggitation, but it wasn't doing a great job of keeping flow in the lower portions of my tank, allowing for buildup. It also visually took away from my display, as it looked like waves constantly breaking against the glass. After moving the spray bar beneath the surface, there appears to be a large amount of flow now stirring the bottom of the tank, but no more waves breaking, and the water appears much cleaner. Though there is very little surface aggitation, which leads me to believe that it might be affecting oxygen content in the water. Can anyone provide me any information on the appropriate amount of surface aggitation? Was moving the spray bar beneath the water a bad idea?

xcali1985

If it's overflowing the side of the tank, there is too much surface agitation. Anything less than that is good as long as it's not still water. You can always add a powerhead or two to add to water movement, inside the tank and at the surface.

njbillyv

I made an 18" spray bar but it took me like three or four designs to get it just right.
I ended up with one hole every inch, the holes alternate from parallel to the water to at about a 75-80 deg. angle down. The holes that are parallel with the water sit about 1/4" below the water level and provide really nice surface agitation, the other holes point down behind my LR. I started with them pointing straight down but my back glass kept getting algae so I have to have them point slightly forward.
I'd also start with smaller holes and work my way up.
It's really trial and error I think.

lcaldwell85

Alright. Great. I ordered a temporary powerhead from amazon.com that I'm going to use until I can afford something a bit better. Marine is an -expensive- hobby, but I'd rather have something than nothing there at all to help out the flow in the tank. I'm still in the process of building my live rock and things as well, but with a few contributions from friends already into the hobby and the purchase of the cascade and lighting under my belt I think that I might start to be able to get a bit more ahead of the game. The Powerhead is a Marineland Ml90512 Maxi-Jet 1200 PRO. Like I said, I'm completely aware it's not top of the line, but has anyone had experience with this type of powerhead before? I've read mixed reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBillyV http:///t/390983/revision-on-question-re-canister-filtration-surface-aggitation#post_3465178
I made an 18" spray bar but it took me like three or four designs to get it just right.
I ended up with one hole every inch, the holes alternate from parallel to the water to at about a 75-80 deg. angle down. The holes that are parallel with the water sit about 1/4" below the water level and provide really nice surface agitation, the other holes point down behind my LR. I started with them pointing straight down but my back glass kept getting algae so I have to have them point slightly forward.
I'd also start with smaller holes and work my way up.
It's really trial and error I think.
How about a photo