Reviving old live rock

dwendler4

I wonder if you guys could help me out with something. I used to have a 90 gallon tank about three years ago. I had it up and running for about three years before I attempted to move it and everything crashed. Sad day. I decided not to restart the whole process and sold off just about everything. However, knowing that one day I would give it another go, I decided to keep the one thing that I always hated to spend money on - live rock. Well, it has finally hit me. I've got the itch to start it up again, but I need some help,
So, here is what i've got. Five 5-gallon buckets full of (once) live rock and salt water. Let me be clear, I have done absolutely nothing with these buckets. They have been sitting stagnant and completely sealed off for three years. Even today, I have not opened them, and probably won't until I am ready to take out the rock and go straight to work on it.
This is where you come in. What do I need to do with the rock to get it back to being "aquarium-ready"? My assumption (without having done any research yet) is that the process will involve setting the rocks in fresh salt water with some power heads and leaving them there for some time, while doing water changes. Am I on the right track? What else needs to be done? How long will the process take?
Thank you in advance for your assistance and I promise to post pictures of my beautiful new tank once the dust has settled.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwendler4 http:///t/391140/reviving-old-live-rock#post_3467308
I wonder if you guys could help me out with something. I used to have a 90 gallon tank about three years ago. I had it up and running for about three years before I attempted to move it and everything crashed. Sad day. I decided not to restart the whole process and sold off just about everything. However, knowing that one day I would give it another go, I decided to keep the one thing that I always hated to spend money on - live rock. Well, it has finally hit me. I've got the itch to start it up again, but I need some help,
So, here is what i've got. Five 5-gallon buckets full of (once) live rock and salt water. Let me be clear, I have done absolutely nothing with these buckets. They have been sitting stagnant and completely sealed off for three years. Even today, I have not opened them, and probably won't until I am ready to take out the rock and go straight to work on it.
This is where you come in. What do I need to do with the rock to get it back to being "aquarium-ready"? My assumption (without having done any research yet) is that the process will involve setting the rocks in fresh salt water with some power heads and leaving them there for some time, while doing water changes. Am I on the right track? What else needs to be done? How long will the process take?
Thank you in advance for your assistance and I promise to post pictures of my beautiful new tank once the dust has settled.
3 years...just put them in the tank..add your saltwater....if any dead tiny things (which I doubt) remains... it's cycle fodder. Set your tank up and cycle it with either store purchased pure ammonia, or a chunk of raw shrimp. Now get going...I want pictures.

If there is any stagnant water on the rock (after 3 years I doubt it hasn't evaporated)...just rinse it.

geoj

I agree, and will add that you should test ammonia , nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate.

snakeblitz33

Probably won't contain any beneficial algae on the rock like coralline or other macroalgaes. I would purchase a pound or two of the new stuff to add to the old just to be sure you are getting enough beneficial organisms.