rhinopius

cincyreefer

Good luck... maybe you could post a video of you feeding your tank sometime. That would be pretty amazing watching rocks grab the food out of nowhere! :D :eek: :D

conogre

Doesn't everyone hand feed their fish?
The kicker is that eve my adult P. volitans lionfish like to be petted...they'll swim up, fold their dosal fins and roll on their sides to be stroked.
The cleaning behavior of many fish and crustaceans is well known, but what's more and more surprising is the opossibilty that many actually enjot physical contact.
Whoda thunk it?

liontamer

LOL Mike, Nick doesnt really "fancy" my fingers yet. Ive tried stroking him, but he dont like that, darts away. Never stings me though. He knows where the food is coming from though for sure! Im gonna get my puffer (future) to be tame for me, lol. Thats my next big task!!:D

cgpuffers

Yay!!! Conogres Back! Anyways I Have An Extremly Tame 4 Inch Porcupine Puffer, Thats Lets Me Pet Her. She Is The most Awesome Fish Ever! I Think Ill Invest In A Tank For Fish From The Scorpionfish Family They Seem Awesome!

liontamer

Yea, i woudnt think it a smart idea to pet a stonefish, lol. Maybe if u were suicidal... Ill watch for my fingers though. Man, the other day at the fish store, there were these two GIANT queen triggers, and this kid that works there dared me to stick my finger in. I did, and they didnt do anything. I was so scared though, either way... LOL.

conogre

Sorry about the delays....the storm wasn't too bad personally but was apparently hell on the ISP's!
As to stroking a lionfish, there's no problem as long as you learn this is one fish you don't want to rub the wrong way!**grin**

fishy411

Originally posted by Conogre
Here's a photo of a Barbfish sitting next to a false-stonefish, S. diabola that closely resembles the flasher scorpions.
the barbfish is the orange/reddish one.
One of the things I love about the scorionfish is that many truly seem to enjoy the company of their own kind or relatives.
The only exceptions that I know of is the Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish (two males will fight, while I had a pair that spqwned 62 times over 6 months), the FuManchu Lionfish (these seems VERY hostile towards each other, even in larger tanks) and the true Stonefish ( I have a 13", 4 pound specimen that will eat ANYTHING that gets in front of him)

when u say they like the company of a relative do u mean the same family or species? would one do good with a lionfish? i am getting a different species and i don't know a whole lot about it. there isnt much info readily available. the species name is Amblyapistus taenionotus and the common name is rogue or sailfin scorpion. It says that they only get to four inches. I plan on putting it in with a dwarf zebra lion. there is a bit of a size fifference but i figure that it won't go after another poisonous fish. If anyone has any info it'd be great. sorry if im stealing yur post a little but it seemed to be getting off topic anyways

liontamer

Scorpions and lions get along very well, and u can have a beautiful tank with lions and scorpions combined. I dont know why they get along, i guess its cuz they are so mellow and not as territorial as most other fish.

mr.smiley

I will hand feed my shark. Though he did tank a bite at my fingers(i think he perfers my fingers instead of frozen food) But my shark will let me hold him.

gasguzzler

My larger female wont leave me alone when my arm is in the tank. She pushes her snout under my hand and throws it up so she can lay under it. Very funny to watch a shark crave attention.

memole

Conogre
I see your in Clearwater... I am in North Tampa...near Wesley Chapel...which fish stores do you go to???? there is a couple I go in tampa...but if there is something in Clearwater largo st.pete...it might be worth the ride...bTW do you have any full pictures of tank..finishing the setup of a 90 Fo...but is being suggested I go FOWLR with LS was going to use CC. any ideas??? thanks again
GREAT FISH!!!