ribbon eel aquarium

dave_15

i researched alot on ribbon eels and i want to hear this from aquarists. What would be the smallest tank you would put in a single ribbon? 2 ribbons? 3?.... i might setup a breeder tank and try to breed this specie. breeding info would be great :happyfish

dave_15

i know that most of the die mostly because they dont take their food because they are stressed or they end up on the floor. and that wasnt my question....i heard that people kept them in nano tanks that are less than 20 gallons and they had no problems

dave_15

actually im just saying what i heard.... and they are kept in small aquariums due to the food concetration. they are fed easier in smaller tanks

dave_15

They are kept in small aquariums due to the food concetration. they are fed easier in smaller tanks and i heard that its easier for them to hunt for their food (like some ribbons are used to) and they hunt by smell...so its easier for them to find food...im just saying what i heard

scubadoo

Have you researched articles? I'll save you the trouble. here is something from Bob Fenner...
Species to Generally Avoid:
I know I'm going to get heat for this section as usual. There are folks who have had Moorish idols that thrived on banana chips; still others carrying on clairvoyant relationships with their Ornatissimus butterflies. I've seen this, have mercy! But for most of us mere mortals the following does hold true.
Rhinomuraena species, the Ribbon Moray Eels. Ninety nine percent plus do not live a month in captivity. Most starve, refusing all food. Next most common category of loss is escape through the smallest of top openings, or plumbing. Last is "simple stress".
The written record shows some people's success with netting food and eel together and shaking, training on select live skewered items; but most black to blue to all yellow female ribbon morays perish within a short while. You've been cautioned.

dave_15

I know that it dies quickly in captivity but i think im ready after a year and a half of researching on a specie.

salsa

I'm also taking the plunge of a ribbon eel. The particular one we are getting has been at the LFS for a couple months. So, I'm hoping it's already acclimaited to aquarium life. I'll let you know how it goes.

fishieness

hey salsa: is it eating at the LFS?! Dont buy it if it is not.
i would also not recomend a ribbon eel....
hey dave15: your realy intent on finding an eel to go in your tank arent ya.... lol

dave_15

yeah but i think im goin for the snowflakes first so i get experience with eels...i reasearched alot on ribbons but i might get them in a year or so now im goin to be setting up a snowflake aquarium :happyfish

dave_15

well thats good....what specie is it? (Pseudechidna brummeri or Rhinomuraena quaesita ) and what color is it (black, blue or yellow) :happyfish