Ribbon eels I am stumpped, Help

Hello all
I have been in this hobby for many many years. Recentley a freind purchased a Ribbon Eel , well I was stumpped I have never had or seen one. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these eels. Compatability and care would be great. How to get this eel to eat, and what is the survival rate of this beautiful eel. Seems that this one has gotten the best of me. :help:

joker_ca

most die of starvation, but some have luck with offering it food like fiddler crabs. this eel is very beautiful but it should be avoided and left in the ocean

Originally Posted by joker_ca
most die of starvation, but some have luck with offering it food like fiddler crabs. this eel is very beautiful but it should be avoided and left in the ocean
The only info found by myself is that they do very poor in captivity has any had succuess?

dogstar

Not very good, most die from not eating and ???
Best to use live foods, like mollies ect. and place it in a smaller tank so it is easier for the eel to feed. After it gets used to eating and estabished then you can place it in a larger tank. They are escape artist so sceen all hoses and seal top of tank.
Good luck and if it does not work then IMO dont try another.
PS. also they need Live rock and deep rocky sand beds that they can make a burrow in.

firedave

I saw my first one back in the late eighties. I'm dating myself. I would agree with the last response. I have not seen anyone with success. In fact the few times I have stumbled past them most of the pet shop clerks even gave them the thumbs down!!!

maxalmon

they should be left in the ocean, it's a slow death sentence for these guys. This photo is titled "Trying" to feed a blue ribbon eel. Notice the word "trying". I wish I could keep one, but this is another species better left to insitutions, experts or mother nature

dolaj

Have a green wolf eel who is making me crazy. I have tried all kinds of foods. I'm hoping that it is new tank jitters. If anyone has any info I would be grateful

crashedin0

ribbon hard to feed once they start eating thought its all good
they come is blue green black and ghost colors
try puting some pvc and when his is in there send in a live feeder comet as in grab the comet with your hand let it go in front of the opening when the comet gose in it should strike if he dont then take it out try tomarrow with another comet
make sure they are very small !!! small mouthis a problem with these guys

dogstar

Originally Posted by Dolaj
Have a green wolf eel who is making me crazy. I have tried all kinds of foods. I'm hoping that it is new tank jitters. If anyone has any info I would be grateful
Not really an eel, but a dottyback.
Most are hardy and eat most any meaty foods. Try something LIVE, Brine, ghost, gupies, ect. to get it to start eating. Without knowing details, cant be sure.