Ricordea - how long before opens up?

hefner413

I got a green ric from swf - for 7.99 - just had to get one... anyway, since I got it- it seems to not be fully open - pretty constricted and tight. My levels are perfect. My other mushrooms and softies are fine. I thought it was too high in the tank (too much light) so I moved it lower a few days ago. It still isn't fully open. It still looks green and healthy, just not open. This is my first ric, so I don't know what to expect.
Thanks for your help!

ninjamini

always aclimate corals at the bottom of the tank and move them up over a few weeks.
2nd what are your peramaters
3rd how long have you had it?

koldreef

I got 2 Ric's from swf.com and they look great. I put them on the bottom of my tank before I went to work at noon.. came back at 930 and they were fully open and VERY nicely colored. I HIGHLY reccomend anyone getting these. Heck and at 7.99 you can't beat that! One I got had 2 mouths on it and just split.

hefner413

I think the prob was that mine was on the upper half of the tank at first - I just wasn't thinking... Again, my parameters are perfect -
phos,amm,ates,ites: 0
ph: 8.2
sg: 1.024
tank's been established for over 8 months. I've had it for about a month now though. I moved it down lower about 1 week ago. It has 2 mouths also....

koldreef

After 1 week, still has not opened yet? That is strange... What kind of lights do you have? (I've got 2x 250w HQI MH) My ric's are on the bottom of the tank (I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow for you!). Maybe try putting them in indirect light?

azfishgal

I would love to order some rics from here, especially for the price. But I have to wait until it cools down. My last order was three Anthias and lets just say two of the fish were cooked.
My fish was in the FedEx truck for 8 hours, and on that day it got up to 115!!!!
You would think with live fish it would be a morning delivery. Oh, well. I'll wait until November or December before I order again.

hefner413

Originally Posted by KoldReef
After 1 week, still has not opened yet? That is strange... What kind of lights do you have? (I've got 2x 250w HQI MH) My ric's are on the bottom of the tank (I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow for you!). Maybe try putting them in indirect light?
I've got 4x 4ft 56w T5's - 2 10thouK and 2 actinic.

hefner413

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I would love to order some rics from here, especially for the price. But I have to wait until it cools down. My last order was three Anthias and lets just say two of the fish were cooked.
My fish was in the FedEx truck for 8 hours, and on that day it got up to 115!!!!
You would think with live fish it would be a morning delivery. Oh, well. I'll wait until November or December before I order again.
Was SWF good about their guarantee?
And did they not include cool packs? well... I guess at 115 - no cool pack could fix that...

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Hefner413
Was SWF good about their guarantee?
And did they not include cool packs? well... I guess at 115 - no cool pack could fix that...
Yes, SWF did give me a refund and were quick with the response.
As far as the cool packs, there was one small cool pack but it was hot. When it said "overnight" delivery I just assumed it would be in the morning. After all, when I have received items from FedEx before I usually received them before 10am, and this was "live" fish so it just made sense they would come in the morning. But I didn't get it until 4pm. I checked on-line and my fish were put on the delivery truck at 8am. I'm sure the driver had to stop for lunch or break, so those poor fish were inside that hot truck during the hottest time of the year and day. Believe it or not one of the fish did survive, but she had hardly any color in her. However she is beautiful and healthy today. I did write an email asking SWF to consider sending fish/corals to "hot" states with "morning delivery" as a must. It's not fair to the poor fish and those of us who do live in hotter states are out of luck until the weather cools.

qbnfreek

Congrats on the ricordea they're my favorite. As far as placement go I start mine at the bottom of my tank in a low flow area so that it can open up fully. Just like everything else in this hobby it just takes time!!! Good luck, I would love to see pictures!!!

emm0909

I just bought a rock of ricordias from SWF and they were opened and basking in the light that evening. I'm not an experienced reefer so this made me really happy.

hefner413

Originally Posted by emm0909
I just bought a rock of ricordias from SWF and they were opened and basking in the light that evening. I'm not an experienced reefer so this made me really happy.
awesome rock! which item is that on the site???

shrimpi

Originally Posted by emm0909

oooh! you are the one that bought those. congrats on the steal.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by KoldReef
If he moved the Ric after a few days of being higher, the ric is now acclimating to 1) stress of new tank 2) change in light exposure.
It may take up to a few weeks for it to come around. As long as its not white and shriveled... its just a time issue.

hefner413

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
oooh! you are the one that bought those. congrats on the steal.
you guys talking about the 5+ polyps for $40?

hefner413

Well, my green ric was resting on the bottom - I thought all would be fine. And then I noticed that it had been pushed over and was on it's top. Well, I reached in to turn it over and when I touched it, the current took it behind my 100 lbs of rock. Oh well. I hope it does ok back there. I still have my fingers crossed that it will come floating back out... but I doubt it.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by Golgi Aparatus
Yeah, which item is this???

the picture in post #11.
Those rics were for sale on this site in the 'eye it and buy it' section a few days ago. They were 99.00 for 10+ polyps. Its a one time WYSIWYG item.
the rics are awesome colors and I was wondering who bought them.
Thats all