ricordea or fancy shroom?

mr_anderson

Just got this yesterday for a LFS. Can someone help ID these. Hopefully they are ricordeas. I paied $30 for all 3 on the right side of the picture.

joncat24

$30 for all of those....you should be arrested for stealing!!! They could easily sell for 50 each

mr_anderson

thanks guys, how high up should these guys be in my tank. I have a 250watt HQI 12k reflux. these guys are currently near the bottom of my tank under some shades. Should they be moved to a higher lighting location?

dogstar

FME. they do best up higher and reproduce quicker....yours look like multipliers...I see several babies....
Keep them low but in direct light for another week and then start placeing them higher so as to not shock them from too much light too fast...

shrimpi

yumas usually prefer less light.
its the florida ricordia that likes higher light.
I would leave them where they are and see how they look in a week when they are settled in. if they are reaching for the sky, move them up.
Most yumas will melt under high light.

teen

ive seen rics melt under high light. i would keep them mid tank under that lighting.

dogstar

For what its worth....I did mentioned not shocking them so they can acclimate to brighter lights..yumas can shock easy..I have shocked some myself....These two pics are of the same yuma rock. There not great pics but should show enough...
I first kept them on the bottom for about 2 months ( 1st pic ) and they only opened about 1.5 inch and didnt multiply...the second pic is about 4 inches under the water..thats only half the rock...3rd pic, other half....gone from 8 polyps to about 20 in a bout a year.....under 250w MHs....I have several others that multiply up high as well.
I also have R. floridas I keep on the bottom for years that do fine...the tank is 30 inches deep....as I mention this is from my experiance...

bullitr

dogstar, you are only using 250 watts om 30 " high tank? how is it? does the light penatrate enough. if i have keep zoas and soft corals in the bottom and acro and montis up top you think it might work? clams in the bottom? i have 400 watts now but i what to add i more 250 for wattage but 400 watts so i can put anything anywhere its 150 watts less . i am trying to save energy as much as i can. sorry if i hi jack the thread

dogstar

I have 3 x 250 but I dont keep SPS or clams..I dont want to mix my tank up any more than it is...I have a risky ( but lucky successfull ) selection as it is...but all softies, LPS as well as an LTA thats deep have been fine for the years Ive had them so far.... some do seem to do better higher and V V...Im not sure if that was your question....now, no more hijacking threads

ecu_2004

I think the trick to yumas is to find them a place and leave them alone. I would not move them any higher than 1/2 way up in the tank with your lights. There is a good chance they will be perfectly happy closer to the bottom.
Definitely a great buy!!
Trina