Ricordia

liverock27

My main question is do different color ricordias need different amounts of light? I have a 20g long tank that has been setup and running now for over 2 months and I am finally ready to start putting a few things in it. The lighting is 1x65w Actinic bulb, 1x65w 10,000k Day light bulb, and 2x1w LED moonlight bulbs. I have been doing a bunch of research about Ricordias and I want to add a few of them to the tank. From what I researched my lighting is fine and they don't need as much flow as some other corals, so I turned down my PH and I have a Fluval 204 going as well. Thanks for any help yall can give me.

norway

you have the exact same setup as me...or the other way around, ha. i have had a ricordia mushroom for about two months and its doing fine. i have noticed a little growth and im not dosing, just doing regular water changes. if you notice most people put ricordias on their sandbed. i dont know why?? because ive read other places that they do fine on rock and if you want them to grow faster obviously they need to be closer to your light. ive never heard that different colored ric's need more or less light. with your lighting it wont get too much light unless your bulb is like 1/8" off the surface of the water?
so my 2 cents is... find a kick ass ricordia and put it where it looks best with plenty of room to grow and split because apparently they win the fight up against most other corals.

liverock27

Thanks Norway. I think I have seen pics of your tank on another thread. the only thing I add is I do a kalk drip at night. The LFS has a few different Rics in and I think I might have to purchase one this week. Thanks again for taking the time answer my question.

liverock27

I drip Kalk at night and it keeps my Calcium at about 420ppm.
Not only did I get one Ricordia this week, but I baught both of the ones at my LFS. They add some great color to my tank.

liverock27

One is orange and the other one is lime and pink. They add some really nice color to the bottom of my tank. I had a hard time getting the orange one to stay in place, so once I did it stayed closed up for a day or so, but now both of them are looking good. I am waiting for my roommate to get back from Easter weekend, so I can borrow his camera.