Rio 1700 pump problem?

mrangel

I was wondering if anyone else has experience problems with the Rio 1700 pump. I bought the pump in December 2002. It is now sounding terribly loud. It is completely out of balance. I ordered an impeller kit replacement and once it was replaced it sounds much better.
I was wondering if this is a fluke of if these pumps aren't that good.
Please let me know,
Marguerite

S

sebae0

yes rio are not the best pump out there seems to be hit or miss with them and from what i've read more misses.

krux

after taking a few pumps apart, it seemed to me that rio uses more plastic in their internal workings than the other couple brands i looked at. while this obviously helps keep the price lower, it does seem, according to members of this board, to cause them to malfunction and outright break sooner than some of the higher priced options out there. the one up side to owning a rio, is that most lfs that sell them also sell the replacement parts, guess theres good money in all those little replacement baggies of stuff on the wall.

mrangel

Thanks for the information. I already ordered the replacement for the impeller kit.
Thanks,
Marguerite

paul plumer

ive had a rio 1700 for 7 months now , it sounded horrible 1 time i took it aprt and cleaned it , it still sounded bad , then i dicoverd i was tightening the cap to the impeller to tight so be careful, aftrer loosening its been working great