Rio Pumps Suck!!

wildbunch

Don't make the mistake and buy a RIO Pump. I have bought 4 of these pumps in the last year. Three of the four pumps have gone bad. Both 2500's have an electrical problem and will shock you if you put your hand on them when running. Even worse when you touch the water with them running. No need for coffee, if you get my meaning. The 1400 won't turn over when the power goes off and comes back on, but the UV filter will. Therefore, I could have burned up my UV filter if I hadn't noticed within 45 minutes. I probably did damage to the UV cause it overheated.
Learn from my mistake and don't purchase a RIO.

bluto

Agree with everything you say.
My skimmer came with a Rio 1400 and I have the same problem EVERY time there's a power outage.
A real pain in the....
Bluto

banshee

Same thing happened to me. I used to get zapped every time I stuck my hand in the water. Finally discovered that it was the Rio's. They suck!

fender

I have a RIO 600 in my tank that I bought USED over a year ago. Starts and stops fine.
But I have heard enuff negatives that I will probably never buy another -and will probably regret not getting rid of it before I have problems......

I think that the older version Rio's are much better then the new ones, I have old ones that start right up no problem, my new Rio is such a pain, when I turn the power off, it does not turn back on at least 1/2 of the time.

biggdriver

I heard from a distributor that the rio 2500's and down have had a few problems..My rio 3100 though I have had no problems with BUt I will replace it just in case..Heard of oil spills when they go out..