Ripped my Xenia

keri

Sooo... I was trying to move it away from my main rock pile (I keep the xenia at a safe distance because it's always streeettching over to the bigger rocks, trying to colonize) and it was starting to attach so I slowly, carefully tried to pull it off but just as I thought "hey, it's working" I realized I was ripping it, almost halway through.... poop.
So my question is: Do you think it's going to die? It's looking pretty P.O'd right now all balled up fingers working furiously.... And how can I tell if it's dying?
Thanks all

keri

good to know.
Yeah, I figured that something that spreads like VD prolly isn't that easy to kill

cofishguy

Also, when it dies, take it out as soon as possible. I had a colony die on me and it almost took my tank down. I had to take it all out and monitor ph, nitrate, ammonia, and nitrite levels for like 3 weeks before all was safe again. I lost 2 smaller fish in the process, thank goodness my tangs weren't affected.
Ken
Pueblo, CO

crt81

Xenia is a coral that, to me, is not capable to die!
I put some xenia in my tank, while still a nooby, didn't know it would spread like a weed, but it did.
I moved it over a little away from the rocks but it still managed to spread to the next rock. Well I had it with this stuff, so I got a razor blade and chopped it down. Well sure enough the small piece of stalk (smaller than a 1/4 of a cm), started to grow back.

Well I learned my lesson- NEVER AGAIN BUY XENIA!!!!!!!

gharner

it should be fine. i killed some a while back(i believe shipping troubles) , it kinda looked shrivled for a day or so and then it "melted" and the heads were fallin off and floating around the tank haha.

keri

It's alive! lol
yeah, no melting, and I think now it's using it's ripped part to find another foothold *shakes fist*