Risc - Question on shark growth rate

swtanks

I can't seem to find info on what the growth rate is for my whitespotted. I can only find max size, average size, etc.
What I am trying to find out is about how much my shark will grow in the years to come. I know it maxes out at about 37 inches but some sites say they could also stop growing at about 24 inches.
My shark added a little over a foot to it's length the first year. I was curious as to how much I can expect it to be when it is 2 years old.
Just looking for averages since there are too many variables to take into account to get a definite answer.
Thanks.

risc

I've heard of bamboos growing a foot to over a foot in a year. That's a little extreme even for the first year. This is usually do to over-feeding. Even though bamboos have an extremely rapid digestive system that doesn't mean you should feed them every day or every other day. They shouldn't be treated any different that other sharks food wise. Watch what you ration them it's important for their long term life. Don't stuff them so bad that they are forced to sit on their stomachs when at rest.
My bamboos grow at the rate of about 2" every 4 months when they near adulthood. When they are younger it's more like 3" to maybe 4" every 4 months. It depends on the --- of the shark.
Jim

swtanks

I think I had better cut back on the feeding. I'll go to every 3 days now and not stuff it. The thing is a pig when it comes to eating.
I was doing every other day. Looks like too much since it grew so fast.
Thanks.

underthesea

i raised my banded cat shark(bamboo shark)from an egg and he ended up growing to 30" in about a year and a half but i fed him everyday. If you cut back on the food you will slow the growth rate.

risc

Sharks can be a life long pet... if you overfeed your shark you could thrust it into an early death. It is not wise to feed sharks everyday. There have been numerous case studies to prove that sharks feed very infrequently. Sometimes as little as once per week. Feeding them a general diet every three days will keep your shark from eating tankmates and make their lives less stressful. If you feed them everyday you also will overload the ammonia in your tank because they will have to excrete waste much more often.
give me fish: it is not likely your shark grew that large in a little over a year unless your tank temperature was 80 degrees.
Jim