risc what do you keep in your 12000g?

mal

Chill out, all he was doing is asking a few questions so he could make a good recommendation.

wallda

WOW I wish I could have 19000 gallons of water in my basement!!!! How much does something like that cost? DO you have any pictures? And if ok, I would love to take a look at it sometime!!!
wallda@uwplatt.edu

wrigley11

Cost... well it actually wasn't as bad as you would think. The hard part was not letting the wife know how big the thing was going to be. The largest cost was actually the water and salt.. I got a good deal on that though because I know a lot of people tha work at a local aquarium.
And as of cost... it was alot more time then cost. Most equipment for ponds can be either made yourself or by converting pool equipment, heater and the like. So if you know someone that is in the pool/spa business you can get you hands on broken stuff and fix it... that way you can replace things that don't go well with salt.
As for pic's... I'll probably shoot a roll tonight or wait until the digital one arrives. As for a visit, anything after the holidays would be fine. I get a little busy this time of the year. Besides, you probably would want to see it when there's something cool in it. The morals usually just hid in this rock work cave setup that's off to one side of the set up.
Also so the gods of saltwaterfish don't get upset, it may not be exactly 19,000... I used the usually equation to figure out the content size... ( height(in) * length(in) * width(in) ) / 232... on of may equations available.. I also rounded alittle instead of getting the measurement tape out.

risc

wrigley11:
If you knew anything at all about the behavioral process that sharks go through when they transistion from one place to another you would know perfectly well why I asked those questions of you. I don't really care whether or not you have what you say you do. The fact of the matter is not all sharks are the same and without knowing the technical aspects of your pond I cannot properly guide you or help you with obtaining any sharks. For all I know your tank could be 82 degrees or it could be 60 degress... obviously on both ends of the spectrum you could only support the life of certain species. If your tank is 82 degrees I am not going to direct you to some 6 foot wobbegong... or if you tank is 60 degrees I am not going to direct you to some 6 foot lemon shark. Do you understand yet? I am sure you know that all fish have certain requirements for optimal survival conditions in captivity. This is why I asked what I did of you.
If you want help you came to a place with a excellent sources of information. If you want to cut anyone down take it elsewhere.
If you want any help you can email me and let me know, I would be happy to assist you like I said before.
Jim

robinfly

Originally posted by wrigley11:
As for pic's... I'll probably shoot a roll tonight or wait until the digital one arrives. As for a visit, anything after the holidays would be fine.[/QB]
Hah, I have a great digital camera - I'll take some shots when I eventually come over to take some of that Xenia off your hands :D
19,000 gallons? Egads!

wrigley11

RobinFly not a problem... I'm probably picking up the digital camera this week. I just have to get motivated to do so.
About the visit, not a problem, we can work something out after the holidays. And I have a whole tank full of Xenia... Haven't been trading it in at local pet stores because of lack of need for new stuff for the tanks.

wrigley11

wallda - went over some of the credit card statements last night so I have some numbers for you on the pond.
the liners (two) about $500 each, the padding under the pond $150, around $700 at hardware store with a few more hundred still to go... have to finish the outside of the tank, a couple of months hard work?...
The big cost can come in filters, pumps, heater, water, and salt... I repaired / modified pool stuff and made my own so it's hard to say what I spent on this stuff. Somewhere in the range of a couple of thousand. No chiller as of yet but I'm not sure I'll need one... besides basic airconditioning/heating repair class can teach you all you need to know about creating/repairing your own.
The water you have two options, a lot of time with a home RO unit or buy the stuff... If your making everything like me you have time so you buy a large home RO unit, turn off the water meiter and run the unit 24/7...
Salt can be harder... you either contact a salt producing company, tell them what you are doing and they usually will help you out (better price not free) in exchange for being able to use you for advertisement or you know someone at a local aquarium, or if all else fails become friendly with a lfs and hope they will give you one hell of a deal for bring in a lot of salt.
That's it... if your interested in specs on the filters and stuff I can email drawings/specs to whom every would be interested. Just drop me you email.

gibbus

wrigley11
Can you email me the specs on the filters and stuff at
pygocariba@yahoo.com
I am interesting setting a monster tank in a couple years.
Thanks
[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Gibbus ]