Ritteri Anemone

sam i am

I plan on keeping a Ritteri Anemone in a 30 x 12 x 18 (29 gallon tank w/ a 15 gallon sump). As far as lighting is concerned, I understand this anemone has higher ligting needs. Will 300 watts of vho lights be enough to allow this creature to thrive.

T

thomas712

You have picked a rather difficult anemone to try to keep, and it might be better to have a larger tank. These guys are also known for walking about the tank constantly, have a hearty appitite, and tend to also climb the glass. Unfortunatly walking around as much as they do many die by getting sucked up into powerheads.
Thomas

mbrands

I saw this thread and couldn't resist the temptation to post my pictures. I just got my ritteri on Tuesday night. It started hosting my 2 ocellaris (sp?) some time last night. It was about the size of a softball when I was transporting it from the LFS, but now it has opened up to about 12" across!
Isn't she beautiful!! :D
picture 1:

J

jacob_poly

Looks cool!!!....just have a question for everybody....what different variations of colors do Ritteris come in? I saw one like this at an LFS sometime ago but was confused if that was its natural color or if it was bleached. I had seen another one that was on the brown side.....anyone?

mbrands

I've seen the color I have, sort of yellow I guess, and one that was kind of reddish purple.
No need to send the tang police, Thejdshow. Mine looks bigger than he/she actually is, plus I'm hoping that my wife will fall in love with him/her. That would mean having to upgrade to a larger tank instead of taking him/her back to the LFS! :D You learn these tricks after you've been married for a while.

thejdshow

Originally posted by mbrands
I've seen the color I have, sort of yellow I guess, and one that was kind of reddish purple.
No need to send the tang police, Thejdshow. Mine looks bigger than he/she actually is, plus I'm hoping that my wife will fall in love with him/her. That would mean having to upgrade to a larger tank instead of taking him/her back to the LFS! :D You learn these tricks after you've been married for a while.

haha! good luck to ya! be sure to keep us updated if you do get a new tank
What kind of lighting do you have in your 55? I have a 55 and am looking to add some anemones and maybe some soft corals. let me know

[hr]
woops! just realized you didn't start this thread... sorry for hijacking... maybe you could send me an email at stunna415@hotmail.com

broncofish

Ritteris were a passion of mine for a while. I would not recommend them for anybodies home aquarium, and as far as colors they come in a bunch varying by region. They spend almost all there time at the top of the water, need to be fed pretty much daily, and will die with out strong lighting and very strong, very random(I mean random as in wave maker, etc...) water flow. Good luck, and keep us updated. I have kept two different Ritteri. One very successfully, and one quasi succesfully, they do split in home aquariums....but not often, and they are rarely kept with anykind of success. This is also not a main reef anemone, They live on the fringe, and in intertidal zones, and are not a good addition to a reef system.