Ritteri or carpet

drummerboy

I really would like to get an anenmone, and my lfs has two that I really like right now. They've had a beautiful striped carpet for over two weeks now that just looks very healthy, it's honestly the best looking anemone that I've seen in real life. The only problem is it's already about the size I'd want it. They also have a really nice ritteri (spelling?) with the green tips on purple tenticles. I have to tank raised perculas that the lfs guy said may or may not take to the carpet, but almost would definitely take to the ritteri. Then he told me (and from what else I've read) the the ritteri is significantly harder to keep than the carpet. Which should I get? Is the ritteri that hard to keep? And will the carpet grow like crazy?

drummerboy

Yes golfish, I have read that article a couple of times, and it really did keep me from getting an anemone for a long time. But then I've talked to a ton of people at the lfs-not employees-(I spend a lot of time there) that have told me that they've all kept them successfully for a long time, and the only problems they've had is them overgrowing. So I don't know what to think, I mean I appreciate this site, and I've gotten a lot of good information from here, but I've always gotten really good advice from the people that live around here. I mean I don't want to have a dead anemone (I haven't lost any life yet except a two shrimp), but I really do trust the people from around my area too. So golfish, I'm conflicted, because you do offer very good advice on this site, but so do the people around here. Thank you for brining it to my attention again though, I may think a hundreth time about it before I buy one.

drummerboy

Thank you for your imput and your honesty Mark. I hope you understand that I wasn't saying that I didn't believe you or value your imput, that's not the case at all. I'm sure you're probably right, I can imagine that most of the people that have told me that have gone through more than one. And I know that they don't need a host, they have been very happy with out one for almost a month now. They will host in frogspawn or hammer though? To tell you the truth I'd rather take your advice and stick with only corals if I had known that. Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it. I hope you understand that I wasn't trying to discredit you or anything, I was just getting conflicting information.
Jeff

go with the ritteri it wont eat ur fish and you will pay a pretty penny for the carpet that will eat every fish or invert it could.it ate my percula clown and stung but didnt eat my peppermint(he lived) the sting like paralyzed him for 10-15 secs then he was fine. also if ur lighting is better then the lighting at the lfs it will double its size,it happened to me also i bought it 4-5 in and in my tank it was 8-10

richard rendos

I have been in the hobby (reef) for about 13 years now. I am far from knowing everything, but I have learned a few things. I have only kept two anemones in those 13 years. My first was 11 years ago...long tentacle. Had him in a 29 gallon tank with corals. He eventually grew and expanded and stung all of my corals to death. He continued to live for several more years. I had him for 3 1/2 years when I had to move and sold him back to the shop I got him from. My second one I got maybe 3 months ago. Below are some pics. He is in a 20 inch cube tank with 1 X 175 watt MH and 2 X 36 watt PC actinics. He has 35 pounds of live rock, a 5" DSB, 15 turbo snails, 2 TR Oscellaris clowns 1 1/2", and a Gold Maxima clam. There is a sump with a ETSS style skimmer driven by a Mag 7 and a Mag 5 return pump. A lot of equipment to ensure that my anemone will live for a long time. I have learned that I must spend more time with my anemone tanks than any of my reef tanks. I keep water quality high in all of them but check the quality in my anemone tank more often. I would say that if someone is going to have anemones, first get as much info as possible, then make sure that you can provide an adequate environment, take your time, and hope for the best. Purchasing my current anemone was more stressful than anything else I have ever bought for my aquariums because I didn't want to F it up. So far, I have had good luck with both the anemones I have had. I know many more people that don't have such luck. But the sense of accomplishment in keeping a healthy anemone is worth all the trouble.
I would say that I have heard more people keeping carpet anemones alive for extended periods than ritteri's. So I would suggest the carpet. Be sure to feed it silversides/krill twice a week. Provide good lighting and moderate current. Good luck!

i have had a ritteri for two years or so and havent had a bit of trouble from him,it was the fisrt one that I bought,so I never had one die,mabey its good luck or perhaps good water quality????