RO Auto Shutoff Question

briandg

I purchased an RODI unit from the

[hr]
site, and have a question regarding hooking it up. It comes with an auto shutoff valve that I believe was intended to be used with the tank that I did not purchase. I'm wanting to set up the RO unit to fill a trash can, and would like it to auto shut off when the water reaches a certain level. My question is does the auto shutoff valve that comes with the units work on water pressure. If so, and I just hook up a float valve to the trash can (similar to the float valves in swamp coolers) that will stop the flow of water. Will this stop of flow kick the auto shutoff in so that water doesn't continually drain out the waste line. If this won't work, any advice as to how I should set this up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

zman1

The auto shut-off valves that come with an RO unit is normally used to stop production of RO water and waste water of the unit itself.
You will need another float valve to stop the water filling the trash can.
This back pressure produced from the float valve on the trash can closing will enable the RO auto shut-off to stop producing waste water. I hope I am making sense here. I don't know your unit but this is how mine operates. I do have a drinking water holding tank and faucet on mine

briandg

Thanks,
I think we're saying the same thing. The float valve will stop the flow of water, the RO unit's shutoff valve will sense the extra pressure and stop the unit. If that's what you're saying, all I need to do is install a float valve on the trash can and I'm set. Does that sound right?
Thanks

zman1

Yes, I think we are on the same page. The Kent Marine float valve works well on a trash can.