RO/DI and TDS meter owners.

birdy

Just wondering if you could do me a big favor.
Could you test your tap water then test the waste water coming out of your RO units and post the results. Thank you so much.
Mine were as follows;
tap:236
RO waste: 290
RO/DI:0

golfish

Originally posted by Birdy
Just wondering if you could do me a big favor.
Could you test your tap water then test the waste water coming out of your RO units and post the results. Thank you so much.
Mine were as follows;
tap:236
RO waste: 290
RO/DI:0

Hey Birdy
Here's mine
Tap: 199
RO waste: 233
RO: 0
RO/DI: 0

squidd

This should help answer the question you had in the other thread/forum...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a TDS meter measure Total DISOLVED Solids (which seems to be an oxymoron...I mean it's either solid or it's disolved...right)...
Anyway, The carbon and micron filters take out the SOLID solids (chunks, if you will) Which is Not what a TDS meter is reading...It's reading the difference in conductivity of the "saturation" of the "disolved" organics or chemicals...
So, the TDS reading from your tap does not include the "chunks" and the RO membrane through osmotic pressure differences seperates the "pure" water from the "saturated" organics/chemicals and concentrates them in the waste water...
Hence your waste water reads 20% or so higher than the tap...(236/290)
However if you ran the waste water through another "mechanical" (chunk) filter it would show up as "cleaner" than your tap...