RO/DI auto shutoff?

zeppelin

Just got my 5 stage RO with an add on DI yesterday. Got my float switches today. Do I need an auto shutoff to make it automatic fill? Not sure what all I need to make it automatic.
Thanks
Larry :cool:

stranglehold

I am thinking about this also. I think the best option (not the cheapest) would be an electrical float switch that would activate a solonoid for the sutoff.
This would work for a sump.
You could also incorporate a pressure switch in conjunction with the solonoid. This would allow the valve to open "on demand" for applications that did not have a float switch suck as a drinking water add-on.

S

sebae0

i just hooked a typhoon, got it with a float valve, already had electric float switched hooked up to top off container. the float valve is just like a swing arm, when the water in the top off container gets low enough the float valve drops and the ro unit refills the container. working good so far.

E

elan

zeppelin,
I was browsing though posts and read you made a DIY skimmer.. do you have any info on it?

zeppelin

Originally posted by elan
zeppelin,
I was browsing though posts and read you made a DIY skimmer.. do you have any info on it?

Yep. Here's the link:
http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/diy4inskimmer.htm
Its about 4-5 feet tall with the collection cup. Cost about $40-$50 to build. Working good so far. Need up go to a bigger air source though. I'm running a TetraTech deepwater 24 now. Will go to a 96 soon. Gotta get my calcium reactor up and running first.:D
Larry:cool:

alsie

Just got my Typhoon2 Friday and set it up yesterday. I tried to get info from airwaterice (but they are at a convention) about the automatic shutoff. I am putting water in a 50gal. plastic barrel. Would the automatic shutoff work in this case ? Could you explain how you do yours ?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I was also thinking of getting the float valve, as I've already ended with a water spill once :(. Are these things easy to install?
Anyone care to give some details to us fellow equiptment dummies [because I know this is so easy ;)]?

S

sebae0

beth i got he float valve and it is actually pretty easy to use. just drill a hole in the container holding your top off water about 3" above where you want it to be. then the threaded end of the float goes thru the opening and the swing arm with the float goes on the water side. it sorta works like the float on a toilet when the water level drops the float goes down and the the ro unit refills until it brings it back up to normal position then it shuts off the water flow. mine has been hooked up for a little more than a week and no problems yet.
the water spill thing to, i did this because my wife's gonna kill me if i flood the basement anymore, just b4 i got it i forgot it was on and it ran all night. lol

javatech

the auto shut off and the float valve are two diferent things
The neatest feature by far, of our unit, is the automatic shut-off valve. This valve
allows you to turn the unit on or off with your pure water tap or your float valve.
Then the automatic shut-off valve will turn off the water supply to the unit.
You get the extra pure water valve and the automatic shut -off valves as standard
features.
Easy to use. If your system has a float valve then your water making becomes totally
automatic. The automatic shut-off valve will stop the flow of water to the unit.

richard rendos

Kent makes an auto shut off valve that you use in conjunction with a float valve. I use this on my setup. Easy to setup and can be used on any RO unit (slight modification may be needed)

alsie

Sebae0 - where did you purchase your float valve? Do you use a combination of automatic shutoff also or just float valve.

yes you need a auto shut off if not the water will just keep running out of the waste outlet you can mske a gravity feed for you float and just keep the tank full and then manually shut it off I will attach a pic of one I made