RO/DI Owners

wamp

Hello all.. If you own a RO/DI Unit, what brand do you own and what is the waste water VS. Pure Water output..
Also, pease mention how many GPD and how many stages they have.. Thanks
wamp

gatorcsm

I have an airwaterice unit that is 5 stages with DI bypass for drinking water and RO membrane flush (typhoon 3 model)
So far I love it. It makes 1 gallon of good for every 3/4 gallons of waste. I opted for the 75 vice 100gpd so I would have more rejection since my water is so bad here. Apparently there is just an orifice that controls this.. Not sure on that though.
It was $214

wamp

That is the same one I have.. Except the drinking tank.. Did your DI cartridge last long?

michaeltx

I dont have a DI but mt RO is a 4 stage that is 50 GPD and waste water is 1-3discharge.
my understanding of DI is that it doesnt create waste water just super cleans the water. (??true or not??)
not sure of brand its a rental type unit froma local company but I think spectra pure or something like that.
Mike

michaeltx

most DI wil filter out 100 to 200 gallons on the 50 GPD depending on how bad the water is to start with out of the RO unit. .
Mike

madd catt

There are two ro/di units that state they do not waste water they are poly-bio marines kold sterile unit and kents deion {if i spelled that right?}that is what the companies say about thier systems.

wamp

My DI has only about 40 gallons through it and it is already 1/2 orange.....

michaeltx

whats the DTS readings after it comes out of the RO. more then likely its something off in the RO part. My membrane got damaged when I had a temp DI on it and the DI wouldnt last that long because of all the crud that was passing through the membrane. so if you have a TDS meter check that and see what they show.
Mike

gatorcsm

same with me on the color changing DI. I just got it and prob made about 90/100 gallons and it's half way through. My water is pretty bad though. Prior to RO it's at 700ppm TDS and after RO it's at 30... Other people seem to have their membrane get them to about 5/10ppm... So I assume it's from the bad water to start with.
I do find that it's always the first 10 gallons that gets me on the DI... Once it's going, it doesn't seem to change as fast. Not sure though, I've only had it a little less than two weeks. But I made about 40 gallons one time, 20 gallons another and then 40 on again. So all decent sized batches.
I'm hoping I don't have to get a new DI cartridge every 200-300 gallons.

reefnut

I also have the Typhoon III. Wamp, does yours have a DI bypass? It is supposed to lengthen the life of the DI.

gatorcsm

Kipass, that's a pretty good TDS prior to filtration. That's most likely wamps and my problem. My initial TDS is through the roof, maybe his is too.

wamp

Don't have a TDS meter.. I e-mailed him today.. Have not heard back yet...
I have no clue what the problem could be... I am on well water but I still would not think it would use it all up that quick..
My good water out VS waste water is about 6 to 1.. That alone leads me to belive something is not right, but, I just don't know enough to come to a cinclusion...

michaeltx

mine was about 700 something prior to RO and after its 1 or 2 Di takes to 0. I am also on well water. my water is actually lower than the city water in TDS the water people said most of the city water is at 900-1200 TDS.
Mike

michaeltx

do you have clear canisters?
is so what does your filters look like. and have you had your sand traps or debris traps cleaned out on the well. mine picks up so much sand out of the water my RO filters were lasting about 2 months after that the filtering rate lowered and I got more wste water than I should normally have.
Mike

gatorcsm

My final (after DI) is still zero. But the DI media is definitely working to get it there...
Maybe one of the seals is leaking by?
Wamp, let me know what you find out from walter, I too may have a problem with this.

wamp

All other filters are clear and clean... The micron filter does not even have a hint of brown yet....

michaeltx

sounds like the RO isnt working properly then because the filter should start turning atleast a little after the first run enough to make a difference in color. it sounds like your DI is the only filter working properly. might take it apart and reset everything and make sure that everything is set in place right.
I dont know of any water that is clean enough not to start turning the filter color at all after 40 or so gallons.
Mike

tangman99

I also have the Typhoon III 100 GPD and have been using it since March. All of my filters are still fine and the DI still has plenty left. I make about 25 gallons per month and 10 gallons when I do water changes.
My pre filtered TDS is around 200, RO is 15 and RO/DI is 0.