RO/DI set-up/placement

f14peter

Have a Typhoon III on the way and plan on putting in our laundry area as there's water and drain at hand.
Q1: Can I simply run the wastewater from the unit to the washing machine drain (just an upright, open-ended pipe) with vinyl hose?
Q2: Does the RO/DI unit need to be placed above the drain point (top of the drainpipe), or can it be roughly level or even lower?

readster

if you have a water supply, and drain, just follow the instructions, and it will tell you how to hook it up precisely.

acrylic51

Yeah you can run the waste directly to the drain of the washer machine drain......I've never mounted it lower than the drain.....it does come out faster than a trickle, but never thought of mounting it below.....Try it and see what effect it has on the RO/DI unit.....Congrats on the new purchase

f14peter

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Yeah you can run the waste directly to the drain of the washer machine drain......I've never mounted it lower than the drain.....it does come out faster than a trickle, but never thought of mounting it below.....Try it and see what effect it has on the RO/DI unit.....Congrats on the new purchase
Thanks Acyl, just trying to figure out the logistics before the system arrives. If I read the AIRWATERICE site correctly, the unit comes with a saddle and I guess I can tap into the drain just about anywhere . . . it rises about three feet up above an elbow connected horizontally to the J-pipe drain.
Wife and I are looking very forward to its arrival, our Remora skimmer should be arriving at nearly the same time and that just about completes our hardware aquisition . . . then its mix the salt, pile in the LR, cure it in the tank, add LS, recycle (If necessary after the LR final-cures) and we're darn near good-to-go.

acrylic51

Congrats......Yeah the AirWaterIce unit will come with a saddle piercing valve kit, and it will also come with a drain saddle as well.....You'll also get a handy dandy portable TDS meter in the package as well, along with some additional tubing........Happy Installing!!!!!!!

bojik

IF you can afford it look in to getting one of those float sensor electric valve units they use on water heaters if you spring a leak the catch under neath will make the sensor flaot and cause the supple line to get shut off. Saving you a head ache in water damage. Not sure if thats realy needed on a RO/DI units but it never hurts to be a little paranoid.