ro/di storage life

wright824

does anyone know how long you can store ro/di water for. either for drinking or for using in the tank (salt and non salt). I was just wondering. my kids think it tastes better i was going to fill some empty gallon milk jugs with it but i don't know how long it will last

mcktheknf

The "DI" in the filtering system is not good for drinking. I disconnect the DI part of my filter and use the RO for drinking.
I would guess that RO/DI water can be stored for several weeks, depending on the room temperature it is stored at? I try to keep rotating water at least once a week so my filter doesn't sit for too long.

sign guy

Originally Posted by mcktheknf
The "DI" in the filtering system is not good for drinking. I disconnect the DI part of my filter and use the RO for drinking.
I would guess that RO/DI water can be stored for several weeks, depending on the room temperature it is stored at? I try to keep rotating water at least once a week so my filter doesn't sit for too long.
why cant you drink deionized water

hurt

Originally Posted by sign guy
why cant you drink deionized water
You can drink it, it just has no taste at all. All the Ca, flouride, and any other elements have been taken completely out of the water making it almost 100% pure. This is good and bad, depending on how you look at it. Ca of course, does a body good :thinking: , and most people would rather drink water with Ca in it. If your unit also has a DI, most suggest using only the RO portion for drinking water and bypassing the DI, to leave some "goodies" for your body.
To answer the first question, as long as it is completely seeled, it should last a very long time.

wright824

Originally Posted by Hurt
You can drink it, it just has no taste at all. All the Ca, flouride, and any other elements have been taken completely out of the water making it almost 100% pure. This is good and bad, depending on how you look at it. Ca of course, does a body good :thinking: , and most people would rather drink water with Ca in it. If your unit also has a DI, most suggest using only the RO portion for drinking water and bypassing the DI, to leave some "goodies" for your body.
To answer the first question, as long as it is completely seeled, it should last a very long time.
would keeping it in my 1gal jugs with the top on. it snaps be completly sealed? should i just keep it ro/di or add the salt to it first before storing it?

mx mr bean

hey if u split the line (get a T valve) right before it gets into the DI Cartridge you can get the drinking water from that line and ur tank water from the product line (like always).

mcktheknf

Originally Posted by wright824
would keeping it in my 1gal jugs with the top on. it snaps be completly sealed? should i just keep it ro/di or add the salt to it first before storing it?
It's best to add salt to the ro/di a week in advance along with a power head for mixing, to let it age. Salinity will change as the water is circulated in container small amounts for a day or so. I personaly use 35 gallon rubbermaid trash can so I can make enough for weekly water changes. No, I don't fill the container all the way to the top. It's best to have both ro/di for daily top off's and saltwater for water changes.

larryndana

the waste water out of your ro/di unit has ran thru your ro part of your unit. should be cleaner than your tap....someone correct me if i'm wrong. I haven't tested the tds from my waste, but it seem likely?
for the last post....no reason to age salt for a week....24hrs or over is fine.

wright824

The t valve is some thing to look into but first i need to but this in a perment place. right now hubby has a fit when he can't use the bathroom sink. we have our washer hooked up also in there and i bought a Y conector so i can keep the cold water to the washer and then have the other side go to the ro/di unit. i can drain it right down with the wash water! Now just need to convince him it a GREAT idea!

scsinet

Originally Posted by larryndana
the waste water out of your ro/di unit has ran thru your ro part of your unit. should be cleaner than your tap....someone correct me if i'm wrong. I haven't tested the tds from my waste, but it seem likely?
for the last post....no reason to age salt for a week....24hrs or over is fine.
No that's not correct. The waste water is water that is ran over the membrane on the "source water side" of the membrane to wash away all of the junk that the membrane doesn't allow through. If a system didn't have this design, the membrane would clog in a very short time.
The waste water is water that has the normal amount of impurities (that make it through the first two stages, so it's free of large sediment and chlorine, etc but that's it), plus the impurities that the membrane rejects. It should still be suitable for drinking, as humans have a pretty high tolerance for impure water, but it's certainly not cleaner than the source water!

larryndana

Originally Posted by SCSInet
No that's not correct. The waste water is water that is ran over the membrane on the "source water side" of the membrane to wash away all of the junk that the membrane doesn't allow through. If a system didn't have this design, the membrane would clog in a very short time.
The waste water is water that has the normal amount of impurities (that make it through the first two stages, so it's free of large sediment and chlorine, etc but that's it), plus the impurities that the membrane rejects. It should still be suitable for drinking, as humans have a pretty high tolerance for impure water, but it's certainly not cleaner than the source water!
Ok got it, thanks!!!!

mavis1032

So as long as the container is covered you can keep the water for a couple of weeks? Wouldn't you need circulation?

hurt

Are talking about pure RO/DI or are you referring to salt water made from RO/DI?

mavis1032

Are talking about pure RO/DI or are you referring to salt water made from RO/DI?
pure ro/di

hurt

Then yes, no circulation is needed at all. It will be fine as long as you have it sealed. I believe it would last much longer than several weeks as long as it's sealed.

mavis1032

Then yes, no circulation is needed at all. It will be fine as long as you have it sealed. I believe it would last much longer than several weeks as long as it's sealed.
Thanks... I am assuming that a heavy duty rubermaid can with a tight fitting lid is what you are considering sealed?

autofreak44

the de-ionisation of water can actualy "corrode" your insides figuratively speaking. basicly it takes all the stuff that is normaly in water and strips them from your body. also becasue its de-ionized, it is looking for ions which it willingly takes from your body. that is prolly a bad thing, but ive never studied it in depth. basicly stick with the RO water for drinking.

larryndana

Originally Posted by autofreak44
the de-ionisation of water can actualy "corrode" your insides figuratively speaking. basicly it takes all the stuff that is normaly in water and strips them from your body. also becasue its de-ionized, it is looking for ions which it willingly takes from your body. that is prolly a bad thing, but ive never studied it in depth. basicly stick with the RO water for drinking.
i always saw it as there were vitimins and stuff in the water that we need in our bodies. when you take it out, we don't have or get enough of what we need. Maybe i'm off in left field again.