RO/DI storage

I have a question about how to store my RO/DI unit for a month or so. I have made plenty RO H20 to last me a few months and want to properly store my unit until I need it next. What are the proper steps I should take?

Does anyone have any input on this matter?? Should I just leave H20 in the membrane and the cartridges?
I need some help here as I cannont plumb my system so that it is always hooked up!

dawman

According to the instructions for my Coralife RO unit , The RO membrane should never be stored dry , can be stored in RO water for up to 30 days , for longer than 30 days refrigerate saturated membrane . The prefillters can be stored dry . From what I have learned about them this a basically a standard for storing any RO unit . I use mine every couple days , so I don`t need to worry about it .

dawman

Originally Posted by Golgi Aparatus
Thanks Dawman....

No Prob . I would think you would have more of a response on this .

This thread had 92 views and nobody else knows or responded ? Makes me wonder how many have stored their membrane dry .

hogs

This quote below is direct from Kent Marine for their Maxxima HI-S RO/DI unit. I was going to buy a used one from Craigslist until I read this. The membrane alone is $100 to buy online if it needs replacement. Dawman was right on with his post.
I would suggest that people refrain from buying used ones unless they really know that the previous owners followed the manufacturers recommendations on usage.
Reverse Osmosis membranes simulate the membranes within our bodies, so they are
delicate. The membranes, once hydrated, cannot be allowed to dry out. When a
membrane dries, it is no longer able to purify the water and would need to be replaced.
When the unit is not operating, the membrane housing MUST stay wet. If the unit is
portable and makes water once or so a month, store the unit with the tubing above the
membrane housing to prevent draining. If the unit is not going to produce water for over 4
weeks, the membrane needs to be removed from the membrane housing and stored in a
plastic, air tight bag with 2 tablespoons of product water and placed in the refrigerator.
Doing this will prolong the membrane life. let the membrane freeze. Regular
maintenance of the R/O unit consists of keeping track of about how much water the unit is producing.

mx mr bean

put some product water and your membrane filter in a ziploc also you will need to keep your DI cartridge wet otherwise the resin will dry out and it will be useless. your carbon and sediment will be fine dry.