RO DI Unit

scoobydoo

I need some suggestions for a RO DI unit. There are a bunch on the famous auction site but I can't seem to decide. I heard not to get one that does more than 75gpd. Is that correct? Anyone have any suggestions on which one to get. I only want to spend $100-150. Email me cputman1@twcny.rr.com Thanks.

schubert

You are correct about the gph issue. Right now I am stuck with going to Wal Mart to get water for my 40g, but I would reccomend airwaterice.com. This site shouldn't care if I post this link since they only sell the sort of prodcuts that saltwaterfish.com does not offer because of their lack of consideration of anything that they can not buy wholesale at absurdly low prices from huge yet often poor companies, thereby allowing them to make slightly more profit. Anyway, hope your search works out.

birdy

Look at the units on the auction site and see what type of DI cannister they have, if it is a full size upright cannister then the unit should be okay, the ones with the small horizontal tube do not do as good of a job.

scoobydoo

This one was recommended. Its 100 gallons. Aqua-Safe TM
"PURE WATER FOR $.01 PER GALLON!!!"
"HOME PLUS" 100 GPD RO+DI
Forget it. It won't let me post the link to it.

airforceb2

I'm not too sure about the gpd thing. Mine is 100gpd and does a great job. I got it off the auction site and am not dissappointed at all. It is by dvoneb...I'm sure you can find it.

stevil

I realize this is an old thread, but was curious if anyone can report on the actual GPD of a dvoneb RO/DI unit and any tips to improve output. I have recently purchased one and am getting less than 1 gallon per hour! The seller of the unit has not yet responded. I'm anxious to get my 90 gallon filled, but at this rate it's going to take me a few weeks...

scoobydoo

Stevil,
I have the same unit. The seller is pretty much useless. Tells you to try this, try that. Nothing worked. Seller then said he'd replace the RO filter but I had to pay to return the one I had. My husband finally was able to get it so it didn't leak. Make sure your seals are all good. The unit only produces about a gallon an hour. The seller advertises at 100 and 125 gpd for the same unit. When you email the seller his response was "do you really need that much at one time anyway? Make sure you post negative feedback about the seller too so no one else gets stuck with this piece of crap.

jerthunter

Oh great, I posted a question about that unit a few days ago and got little response so I just purchased it, I haven't recieved it yet but now I just hope to have better luck with it then you guys. Although I guess I am not as concerned about flowrate as quality.
One thing to take in mind about the flowrate is your water source. Any RO unit's output will vary based on the water pressure. However 1 gal an hour is a LOT less then the optimal 125 gpd which should be over 5 gal per hour. Also another thing that can lower your flowrate is how much stuff is in your water. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about either the pressure of the quality of the supply water.

scoobydoo

Pressure and water isn't the issue, the unit is NOT what it is advertised to be. Did you read the seller's feedback. I posted a negative feedback.

jerthunter

Yes, I read his feedback, but he had only like 2 negative feedbacks and about 700 positive feedbacks.. Oh well, I already paid for it so now I just hope it works out ok.

ezee

I just bought one two days ago. I was actually reading this thread about it but did not see really negative stuff about it. Oh well. I wonder if anyone has actually had a positive experience with this unit.
E

ezee

I went through this guy's feedback for about 45 minutes before I bought this item and I did not see that many negatives.
E

birdy

Just be aware that a faster flow usually means more impurities in the water, the faster the flow through the membrane the more stuff the membrane will let through. I would rather have slower flow and purer water than vice versa.
Not saying the guy should advertise a unit falsely just saying it may not be such a bad thing. Get a TDS meter and see what the level is coming out of the unit. On a brand new unit it should be 0.

ezee

Birdy,
Good way to look at it. I guess as long as it works and filters well we are in okay shape. I have heard that the filtered water is good.
Thanks!
E

airforceb2

It took me 20 hours to fill my 90. That comes out to just under 100GPD if my math is correct. It takes a little while for the filter to start working at full capacity. Make sure you flush the membrane every so often. I flushed mine about ever 4 hours.
FYI, the sellers don't speak english very well so e-mailing was about hopeless for me. I had to do a couple adjustments to keep the leaks from starting but it only cost me about $8 at Home Depot. I still think the purchase was well worth it.