RO/DI units

T

thomas712

Ok gang ~ Long story short, we are going to have the kitchen expoded and rebuilt, almost totally. They are going to rip out the old cupboards and counter tops, including the old floor and replace everything. I thought while this happens I just might as well install my own RO unit under the sink and run a line down into the basement where the tank is.
I would like to know what units you all use and what you think of them. Mind you I have a 90 gallon tank with 55 gallon refugium and 10-20 gallon sump, so I would think I'd need a fairly good size GPD unit.
Thomas

92protruck

I saw alot of people on here liked the Typhoon III for reef only and the dual home/reef version for the added drinking water. I bought the home/reef and have had no problems. The customer service is excellent and Walter will always call you back when you leave a message. Hope this helps.

acrylic51

I've been running the Kent Maxxima for the past 6 years and just bought the Typhoon III to replace it, but haven't fired it up yet since new setup isn't complete

T

thomas712

hmmm.. I just spent quite a bit of time reading up on the Typhoon III, including instruction manual on PDF. I still didn't find any cost operations and am wondering what my water bill is going to do.

turningtim

Thomas, I have been thinking of an RO unit for a while but, I can't get over the "waste water" they produce. I have a well and where I'm at water is more preicous than gold. I have talked to some water treatment folks and they have told me that there are now more efficient RO units out there. I have an appointment with Culligan next week to get more info/cost.
Don't know if this helps but I thought I'd throw it out there!
HTH
Tim

jumpfrog

I have a typhoon III. Without the exception of a recent brain cramp (see other post) I average a $50 a month water bill. That is with a 125 reef with 16 gallon water changes every 2 weeks and a 72 gallon discus with 12 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. This is for a 4 bedroom with a pool. I don't know what cost my ro/di has specifically, but it can't be too much.
I've found it to be very efficient as ro/di goes and quality is great. As previously mentioned, customer service is outstanding.

acrylic51

Yeah Thomas at times I find it hard to find things on the site, it seems like the are hidden....Water bill isn't really that bad..I average about $42.00 a month and I do 50 gallons a week water change on my tank. The waste is quite a bit, but I thought somewhere not this site though I read that there is something that can be done to run the waste water back through to cut down on waste....Not really sure where I seen it at though.......But in all honesty the waste isn't that bad......if your super worried about water bill cut back on watering lawns, and washing cars and using water smartly....
Hookup shouldn't be a problem at all for you and will be super easy since the kitchen remodel.....You can either hook it to the faucet with the faucet adapter which they have listed on their site, or the easiest and probably most convient means for you would be to hook it into your supply pipe using an icemaker hookup kit......

T

thomas712

TurningTim ~ OK now that you menion it I too have talked to a Culligan guy, and around this area they told me that they only sell one type and that if you have a well you will be spending money for some kind of pump as well as the rest of the Ro unit stuff. I believe the unit that they sell is for total home and he was talking around $700 bucks or something like that. Way too much for me.
I understand the waste water thing as a means of continually flushing the filter, some folks with the knowhow have hooked that waste water up to there clothes washer or dish washer or something like that.
Thomas

dogstar

Originally Posted by Thomas712
hmmm.. I just spent quite a bit of time reading up on the Typhoon III, including instruction manual on PDF. I still didn't find any cost operations and am wondering what my water bill is going to do.
Here they charge water by the unit ( 1000g ) each. If you go into the next unit by one gl. you get hit with the total price of the unit but the next months bill you will have to use the total unit up befor getting charged with another one. HTMS
If you know about what the rejection rate is and how much RO you will use for the tank and drinking then then should be able to figure a total per month and then see what/how your charged on the bill.

T

thomas712

For the Typhoon III they say 3-4 to 1 ratio. I thought that was quite a bit, but got to thinking a moment ago about placing a pump in the reject water to reroute it back into the RO unit thus forcing it through again instead of it rejecting it. This also might burn up the filters quicker but I would have less waste water. I don't know, just thinking out loud.
Thomas

turningtim

$700.00 :scared: I'll laugh him right out of the house!!! :hilarious
The speel I got was The water goes though a whole house filter, then softener (which I already have both), that removes quite a bit of metals/sediment and b/c of this the ro unit has a lower waste rate ie backwashes and such. I have tested my well water and come up with only .25 phos and 0 trate etc. The thing I'm worried about the metals. I would think that your membrains would get used up very quck if you were to run the "waste water" back through. I've also heard conflicting reports on whether you can use the waste for anything.........
Would love to hear what you come up with. Did culligan test your water? I really need to bite the bullet and get a full run down of whats in the well first.......
Good luck on the kitchen remodel!
Tim

trainfever

I have a Kenmore 550 and I run the waste line into either the washing machine or into 5 gallon water bottles to save for laundry. I have 5 daughters, so there's plenty of laundry to be done around here.

dogstar

4 to 1 is normal for the standard 4,5 6 stage type filters. IMO most of the ones useing standard 10 inch prefilters and membranes are about the same quality, many brands out there. of course adding DI makes a differance and gpd rates and change the $$ you pay for it at first. The more whistles and bell that come with them helps like storage tanks or pressure gauges and TDS meters.
Most people just except the cost of water and changeing filters as another cost of the hobby.
I understand everyone situation is different but if you can save waste and find a use for it then thats fine, just for me it didnt really change the amount of money I spent on water changes when considered LFS or buying and hawlling Wallmart water ect. IMO makeing my own still saves me money without trying to save the waste water. I dont like the idea of running the waste thru again unless maybe only thru the prefilters and only useing that for drinking maybe. That would save on the membrane but of course really go thru a lot of changeing prefilters also.

thegrog

If I may add my $0.02. I use an Aqua-Safe Systems that I got on that big auction site. Cost like $200. It is rated at like 100 GPD if memory serves.
I have a 125 reef with 40 sump and a 30 gal tank. Never had problems making enough water. Easy to install.
My water bills run around $12-$14 a month as well. It has an auto-shutoff so when the resivoir tank is full, it shuts down. Pretty efficient I guess, but I have never actually measured the amount of waste water produced.

birdy

For those of you concerned with waste water you might want to consider a Dieon unit by Kent or something similar,
it is Dionized water, but it seperates the two cation and anion, so when they are exhausted you can re-charge them.
There used to be a german made water system called kati/ani, but when I tried to find someone in the states that sold it I had no luck.
The biggest drawback to the unit is that you have to re-charge or re-fill the unit after every 200 gallons of water.

agent707

I water my grass all summer long.... Water bill sometimes runs $100~$150 /month. LOL. I guess I won't notice a little water waste from the TyphoonIII i just ordered.

salt210

my instructions have it going back into the washer storage, gonna be a few days before i can do it tho. cut the tip of my finger off. lol