RO/DI water... what are the costs?!

kayak385

I pay 49cents/gallon currently at the grocery store closest to me for RO/DI water.
Is it worth it to buy a unit? What is a good price for water/gallon?

keith burn

Originally Posted by kayak385
I pay 49cents/gallon currently at the grocery store closest to me for RO/DI water.
Is it worth it to buy a unit? What is a good price for water/gallon?

i say it is all about the gpd you need low end $55.00 to 99.00 top $299.00
20gpd up to like 200gpd
but it is good for you to drink aswell.
look in the web youwill see like 1000 4 sale
imo 20 to 50 gpd will work with you drinking it aswell about $125.00 for a 6 stage unit.
the good drinking water is what you pay for water for tank is a + only

kayak385

Originally Posted by keith burn
i say it is all about the gpd you need low end $55.00 to 99.00 top $299.00
20gpd up to like 200gpd
but it is good for you to drink aswell.
look in the web youwill see like 1000 4 sale
imo 20 to 50 gpd will work with you drinking it aswell about $125.00 for a 6 stage unit.
the good drinking water is what you pay for water for tank is a + only
My fish drink, swim and eat better than I!
When the water evaporates in the tank, I add the RO water. I don't drink it, at the price I get it for.
But your recommendation is to get a unit?

d0 thy d3w

since were on the subject of ro units..do u just hook them up to ur sink or sumthing? cuz this site doesnt really give that type of info..

sepulatian

Originally Posted by d0 thy d3w
since were on the subject of ro units..do u just hook them up to ur sink or sumthing? cuz this site doesnt really give that type of info..
It should be hooked up to a water source that you don't need. RO water takes a long time to make, so hooking it up to a faucet that you regularly need is not a good idea. There are also auto shut off valves for it. It will fill your desired container and stop when it is full so it doesn't run all over the floor.

kayak385

interesting... now i need to find a place to put the RO unit that is close to my tank. Could I hook it up downstairs and have it fill a bucket 2 stories up or does it not have the pressure?

keith burn

Originally Posted by kayak385
interesting... now i need to find a place to put the RO unit that is close to my tank. Could I hook it up downstairs and have it fill a bucket 2 stories up or does it not have the pressure?
you can get a plumer to run a line to it very cheep just 1 c water line.

aztec reef

i do it in my garage and its hooked to water hose in the back yard. i make 13-g at a time 5g for water change 5g for kak-water & 3 for storage (in case i need fresh water).

daninct

Has anyone ever looked at the cost of making that water and not just the unit cost? I am not on a well. My city water is expensive as is. I have always been turned off by the thought of so few gallons made while the rest would go down my drain. I am not knocking the users of RO/DI so please don't flame me. I just haven't figured out how to save that water for any practical use, especially in winter. Summer I guess outside for the garden....

belizeanlv

i went and got a little water purifer from walmart,20 bucks,refill18-20 bucks,u get 100 gallons out of it,plus if u hook it to a water hose or sink u never have to worry about evaporation

daninct

I have a filter hooked up to my house cold water supply but it is not the same as the RO unit. It does filter out a great deal of impurities and is better than nothing but not the same. So far (one year) ,y tanks are not bad at all so either I have decent water to begin with or I have been very lucky. FOWLR by the way.

choog

how do you get RO/DI water from walmart to your house. . . .say you're getting 50 gallons, thats a lot of water. . . . does it come in buckets or what?

trainfever

Originally Posted by daninct
Has anyone ever looked at the cost of making that water and not just the unit cost? I am not on a well. My city water is expensive as is. I have always been turned off by the thought of so few gallons made while the rest would go down my drain. I am not knocking the users of RO/DI so please don't flame me. I just haven't figured out how to save that water for any practical use, especially in winter. Summer I guess outside for the garden....
I dont let the waste water go to waste. I put the drain hose into my washer and fill the washer with it as I make RO water. I benefit in two ways by doing this. I dont waste any water and since the waste water is harder, it makes your clothes softer. The waste water is clean, it just has more minerals in it.

daninct

Interesting method and I think that is something I could make work. I would still have to haul buckets around but I wouldn't waste as much as I thought.

f14peter

Originally Posted by d0 thy d3w
A good place to consider is a laundry area as it has the two things you need . . . a source of water, and a drain. I put a Y-fitting on the cold water faucet for the washing machine for source, and then simply stuck the waste-water tube down the pipe of the washing machine drain.
Otherwise, you're looking at tapping via drilling and attaching fittings to existing pipes, such as under a sink.
As for cost vs store-bought water . . . unless you're running a nano, it won't take long to recoup. The fact that it costs money (both for the water itself and gas) and time to get water from the store, it was an easy decision. That decision was made all the easier since I'm on flat-rate water so there's no extra cost for using more water. Considering that I've already run probably 300g through my unit in only a couple of months, I figure I'm not to far from having the thing pay for itself. Also, the advantage of having water in the house is tremendous . . . I imagine more than one badly needed water change or top-off has been delayed because of the inconvenience of having to tote the buckets out to the car, fuss with traffic, then haul it all home.