RO/DI Water

mike15

Hello,
I have a question regarding the use of RO/DI water instead of tap water to reduce nitrates.
I have kept two successful saltwater tanks in the past 2 years. Both have been kept with tap water "neutralized" with a product called aquasafe. Anyways, both tanks are completely healthy but, even in situations of light bio-load, maintain a nitrate level of 20, despite skimming, water changes, and continual maintenance. While i realize 20 isn't a serious nitrate level, I would prefer if it was significantly lower.
I believe the tap water in my area may be responsible for the aquarium's nitrate levels. This is a readout of the area's tap water supply levels:
Chlorine - .85mg/L
Fluoride - .46mg/L F
Hardness - 163L CaCO3
Nitrate - 1.57mg/L N
Sodium - 50mg/L Na
Dissolved Solids - 364mg/L
pH - 7.85
I'm not sure if that helps, but it seems like a lot of unwanted stuff is entering into my tank. Could the tap water be causing the nitrates to stay high? Would using RO/DI water reverse this problem?
Thank you for your time and any help you can give me,
Mike15.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by Mike15
http:///forum/post/2618151
Hello,
I have a question regarding the use of RO/DI water instead of tap water to reduce nitrates.
I have kept two successful saltwater tanks in the past 2 years. Both have been kept with tap water "neutralized" with a product called aquasafe. Anyways, both tanks are completely healthy but, even in situations of light bio-load, maintain a nitrate level of 20, despite skimming, water changes, and continual maintenance. While i realize 20 isn't a serious nitrate level, I would prefer if it was significantly lower.
I believe the tap water in my area may be responsible for the aquarium's nitrate levels. This is a readout of the area's tap water supply levels:
Chlorine - .85mg/L
Fluoride - .46mg/L F
Hardness - 163L CaCO3
Nitrate - 1.57mg/L N
Sodium - 50mg/L Na
Dissolved Solids - 364mg/L
pH - 7.85
I'm not sure if that helps, but it seems like a lot of unwanted stuff is entering into my tank. Could the tap water be causing the nitrates to stay high? Would using RO/DI water reverse this problem?
Thank you for your time and any help you can give me,
Mike15.
I would say that yes, your tap water is the problem why your nitrates are so high. You should definitely get an RO/DI and that would help out alot with your nitrates.

mike15

Thanks for your quick responses. I just ordered a nice 6 stage RO/DI unit.
When it arrives, do i need to make the switch from Tap water to RO/DI slow or can I just begin to do normal top offs and water changes with the RO/DI water?

nycbob

just do regular water change. over time, it will reduce whatever chemicals u hv in ur tank. 6 stages ro/di unit? thats alot of filtering! the only way to really know for sure whether it was the tap water contributing to ur nitrate is to list every specs of ur tanks.

once you get it, i wouldnt see any reason why you shouldnt be able to immediately switch. i do know that your supposed to run the systen for a while to get the chemicals from the factory out. i would ask some one more experienced about that. (just ordered my own RO too)

prime311

If its the 6-stage I'm thinking of, the 6th stage is actually just carbon for taste and I think its better to pull water after the 5th stage for the aquarium.

jp2510

Looking to get an ro unit finally - is there any reason why i couldn't get a regular ro unit (with faucet) - from sears or home depot for example - as opposed to one made 'specifically' for aquariums (e.g. those sold at saltwaterfish.com)? What's the difference?
Just thought it would benefit the rest of the household this way too (for drinking water)....

aquaguy24

when u first use the unit let run for about 2 hours..then ur good to go...what GPD rating r u getting...if u get one that is produce pure water really fast like 100gpd remember that the water is moving faster through the system so less is filtered out...so i'd get one about 50gpd...