Ro/di

costa13

I set up my Typhoon 5 stage RO/DI 75gpd unit yesterday. It has been runing for about 18hours and has only made about 2gallons, and the waste water is comming out like crazy. :scared: I tested the water pressure coming out of the faucet I tapped into and it is at 85psi. :scared: The unit says it is rated for 75psi, and I am wondering if this is what my problem is. Is it making so little water because my water pressure is to high?
If so how would I fix this?

reefkprz

more likley your water is cold you get more waste out of cold water than you do at 70 deg. lots more. it could also be something isnt seated right maybe. I'm not overly familiar with the typhoon Ro/di hopefully some one who knows that ro better checks in. bUt I would try warmer water. NOT HOT> you can burn your filters out if the water is too hot.

costa13

The directions say for every degree lower than 77 it decrease the production rate by 1.33%. So even if my water temp was at 60 degrees that would only be a 20% percent decrease, and still should make at least 50gpd. I was thiniking maybe it need to break in something since it is only 18hours old.

mcktheknf

I just installed a new "The Filter Guys" ro/di and it started working immediately. It was a bit confusing because of all the little hoses going in every direction, but I finally got it fingered out. I'm thinking you might have some lines crossed? I could see how that would happen. Rick

costa13

Originally Posted by mcktheknf
I just installed a new "The Filter Guys" ro/di and it started working immediately. It was a bit confusing because of all the little hoses going in every direction, but I finally got it fingered out. I'm thinking you might have some lines crossed? I could see how that would happen. Rick
NO lines crossed here

aztec reef

i wouldn't recomend running warm water or hot ever!!! my unit has always ran at 50 psi with no problem.did you do the initialization process? did you check the concentrate to purified water ratio? did it come with operation manual?

larryndana

My spectrapure came with a flow restrictor. it restricts the flow out of the ro and forces it through the di section. read your manual or call airwaterice. maybe someone with that unit can help more.

costa13

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
does it come with a pressure regulator?
no, but it came with ball valves. I put a ball valve on the supply and closed it some to help reduce the pressure

costa13

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
i wouldn't recomend running warm water or hot ever!!! my unit has always ran at 50 psi with no problem.did you do the initialization process? did you check the concentrate to purified water ratio? did it come with operation manual?
1. I do not understand what you mean by the intializtion process.
2. I do not have a TDS meter, so I cannot check the concentration
3.Yes it came with a manual.

phixer

Some units when new will undergo a "break in" period of low output. I would read the troubleshooting section of the manual to see if this is mentioned first, then check the obvious again, i.e kinked lines, obstructions proper input pressure. If these areas are good then secure the water, unscrew the filter bowls and check the seating of the filter membranes inside the canisters. Check your valve positions against the manual. What happened when you reduced your inlet pressure?
Most of these units are relatively simple and a little tinkering should fix it.

aztec reef

costa13 said:
1. I do not understand what you mean by the intializtion process.
2. I do not have a TDS meter, so I cannot check the concentration
1. then forget about initilization.
2.and if your manual doesn't show you how to do check for the concentrate to purified water ration then forget about that too.
ps you don't need a tds meter to do this .
it consists of 1. let the unit run for fifteen minutes.
2. collect product water from the good water tubin for one minute . measuring in milimiters. then do the same for the waste tubing.
3. divide the waste water by the product water.
the results is the concentrate to product ratio.
the flow rate of the concentrate must be a minimum of 4x the product flow rate. 4x to 6x is good concentrate flow rate.

phixer

After the product / waste ratio is deterimined it may still be far from the rated 75gpd production rate. Is it possible that there is an obstruction (filter/s not seated) the supply water is too cold or the input pressure is too high? It almost sounds like the waste flow rate should be the product rate.

aztec reef

Phixer said:
After the product / waste ratio is deterimined it may still be far from the rated 75gpd production rate. Is it possible that there is an obstruction (filter/s not seated) the supply water is too cold or the input pressure is too high?
could be. but i don't think the water being cold is a factor...if pressure is too high then you're going to need a pressure regulator.

larryndana

i have heard of the "break in" period, first things first....you need to find the waste to product water ratio, like stated above.