Ro/di

pezenfuego

Bulk reef anything is great imo! ***are also awesome, you should check them out if you haven't already. So, enjoy!

ajer

I live in Charlottesville, VA now, but am going to be moving to columbus OH in may. Will this RODI be good enough for a reef tank there?

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Ajer
http:///forum/post/2911541
I live in Charlottesville, VA now, but am going to be moving to columbus OH in may. Will this RODI be good enough for a reef tank there?
Do you know what the water is like there? Will you have a water softener?

ajer

Absolutly NO idea what the water in Columbus is like. Charlottesville has pretty good water. I will not have a water softener.
Does anyone that lives in Columbus know?

ajer

Looked at columbus's utilities page, this is what almost all districts of OH do:
Water is pumped into the treatment plant from the reservoir or stream through [1] rotating screens [2].
Alum is added to cause flocculation [3].
After rapid mixing (20-40 minutes), the water remains in [4] the settling basin while sedimentation of floc occurs (2-4 hours). The sediment (sludge) is pumped from the bottom of the pools and stored in holding lagoons to dry.
The softening process [5] involves the addition of sodium carbonate and hydrated lime to remove calcium and magnesium ions that are responsible for water hardness. This process takes an additional 2-4 hours. For each pound of chemical used in the treatment process, two pounds are removed.
After an additional sedimentation process [6], carbon dioxide is added to lower the pH level to approximately 7.5. Water is held in a [7] stabilizing basin for another 2-4 hours.
Water then flows through large dual media rapid sand filters made up of layers of gravel, sand, and anthracite coal [8].
Addition [9] of chlorine to disinfect the water, fluoride to protect teeth and a corrosion inhibitor take place at the end of the process before water enters [10] large underground clearwells to be held until needed by the community [11].
Please note: when ground water is used, neither screening nor initial sedimentation is needed.
Also, looked at thefilterguys, and this in a comparable filter:
$124.00 – OCEAN WAVE SHELL FOUR STAGE 75 GPD REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEM
This system is designed for the person who just wants RO aquarium water or already has a DI housing but needs a new RO system
* All systems are made with clear 10" canister housings
* Stage One 5 micron poly sediment filter
* Stage Two 5 Micron Matrikx CTO/2 carbon block
* Stage Three 0.6 Micron Matrikx +1Chlorine Guzzler carbon block
* Stage Four RO membrane 75 GPD Dow FilmTec
* Quick connect fittings
* Self Piercing Saddle Valve Water Supply Connection
* Drain Connection
* Filter wrench to make cartridge replacement easy
ADD ONS:
PRESSURE GAUGE KIT - $12
MEMBRANE FLUSH VALVE - $10
DUAL TDS METER - $35
DUAL DI SYSTEM - $62
SINGLE DI SYSTEM - $36
AUTO SHUT-OFF - $8
So this would cost me 124+36. 160+Shipping
I can get it from ************** for 130+shipping.
The filter guys one does have a extra carbon block, but I don't think I need that.
It appears that I won't need a Chloramines remover, as OH doesn't treat with Chloramines.

pezenfuego

It looks like you've done your research. Good luck in setting up your ro/di...will you use it for drinking water? You just need to get a simple bypass valve for this.

ajer

Na, maybe later I'll use it for that. I should be getting it the end of this month when I get my paycheck.

bama man

I bought one from them and have been very pleased. Fast shipping, easy to set up right out of the box. Mine is also the 4 stage RODI. I got the complete kit which has the TDS meter,etc. Good luck with it, whoever you buy from.

dskrezyna

Any of you seen these?
New Reef 6st 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filters, $85 shipped
If these work just as well as the others, I wouldnt mind saving $50+. I ended up purchasing this unit so I'll give some feedback regarding the tds when I run my 2nd batch of water.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by dskrezyna
http:///forum/post/2916175
Any of you seen these?
New Reef 6st 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filters, $85 shipped (on that big auction site)
If these work just as well as the others, I wouldnt mind saving $50+.
What kind of membranes are used? I would be willing to be that the set of filters it comes with are junk...but there is no reason they can't be replaced with good ones. Also, the higher the gpd, the higher the tds in most cases. I think X has one from the "big auction site," you should ask him about this.