RO/DI

reef champ

What is a good and reliable RO/DI filter that is relatively cheap? Also what kind of installation is required for these filters... I understand what they do but how do they operate?

J

jstdv8

i have a little air, water, ice and its pretty sweet. just screw it onto your faucet and turn the cold water on. put the other little line coming out the other end in a bucket and wait for it to fill up.

ryancw01

+1. I have a typhoon 5 stage from airwaterice. com also and been working great for 5 years now. I have mine hooked up underneath the sink via ice maker hookup that you would use for a refrigerator. It comes with everything except for that. Mine runs directly from under my sink to the refugium with a kent marine float valve. I have a splitter for when I do water changes so I can fill up a separate bucket. I know everyone says do not hook your RO/DI directly to your tank, but mine has been this way for 4-5 years and I never have any issues with it. I tap it every couple days just to make sure it is not going to get stuck or anything and it is fine.

posiden

I'm running a Water General unit. The RD-102. I have it just about 2 years now. It came with everything needed to hook it up under the sink, including the waste drain tap. I didn't hook mine up under the sink, I placed it in the garage. I also got a dual in line TDS meter for it, so I can read the incoming and out going.
They work by forcing the water through a RO membrane. The RO membrane catches all the unwanted stuff. The RO membrane is what makes or breaks a unit IMO. The water that makes it through the RO membrane then goes through the DI resin. The resin then traps the little bit that gets by the RO membrane giving you 99.99% pure water. Lots of goodies and add on pieces to a RO/DI unit. One thing to think about if your interested is a pressure reservoir tank. This will give you the RO water for drinking, cooking, ice maker. Then you will have another output for the RO/DI water for your tank. Booster pumps to increase efficiency of the unit, ect. NONE of which is needed to make good water for your tank. Just options in how deep you want to go with your water unit. HTH.