RO Odyssey

sleeper

Ok, so the story behind my new RO/DI unit. I'm sure some of you will find it entertaining.
I order the unit last Monday. It's slated for delivery Friday (nov 11). I know nothing about plumbing. Even though the package is not marked as fragile, or as a sign-only package, the UPS guy, who happens to come 5 minutes after I leave to see my father's game (he's a college basketball coach and his team was playing in my area), decides he's gonna hold the package and deliver it Monday (Nov 14).
So now, a week into the fiasco, I ask my unemployed artist roommate to wait around for the package. He waits around - til about noon, when he gets hungry and decides to go to the Tombs (the local restaurant/BAR) for SIX HOURS. Happily, I wrote a longwinded note to the UPS guy and stuck it on the front door just in case. So, I get home, and there it is! Yay! Only, problem is, I have to go pick my girlfriend up from the airport Monday night. No big deal, of course, but it means I've got at least another day before I can replace water that has evaporated so much the current maker is actually rippling the surface.
Ok, ok, SO. Tuesday comes. I "work from home" Tuesday morning to a) get my hair cut and b) install this device. A) Khan, my barber, has for some reason unbeknownst to me closed his shop on Tuesday morning. B) I get home, frustrated, and use my complete lack of plumbing expertise to turn off the cold water source and then unscrew the little bolt that leads from the sink's soft pipe to the wall. So far, so easy. I go to insert the adaptor and wham—it won't close over the screw. It turns out that the piece is probably about 40 years old and has this iold-school "nub" blocking it from fitting into the adaptor.
Ok, ok, I think, I've got to find a replacement piece. I replace the pieces I had disassembled, and annoyed, go to work. After work I go to the hardware store. They sell me a replacement soft pipe for $12 that has all the right-sized nuts and lugs.
Great, I think.
I go home, try to unscrew the big fat lug that connects the TOP of the soft pipe to the sink, and (that was Wed.) as many of my friends heard me very loudly vocalize, I didn't have the right sized monkey wrench.
Ok, ok, now I'm getting frustrated. So I go in to work yesterday and ask my boss, of all people, whether we have any monkey wrenches. "Indeed we do," he says, including a big ole one intended specifically for plumbing. This is extra notable since I write for a magazine. It's not like we're in the manufacturing industry or something. "Yay," I think, go upstairs and get it. The thing is 14". For context, think of the typical 6" one you get in most starter tool kits. It's literally twice as big plus two inches. "Ok, this will work," I say to myself… Oh, no. No no no no no, no, no.

sleeper

Why doesn't it work when I return for lunch and to put in the new piece, you ask? Well, I reply: the thing is TOO *****ing BIG. I can't win. I spend twenty minutes I should have been working on my elbows and back, trying to convince this screw it belongs OFF the sink. But no.
So, now desperate, I go BACK to the hardware store, not really wanting to buy a wrench (not being much of a mechanical person), but desperate. I ask. One of the very helpful salesmen tells me I NEED this thing that all plumbers use to remove lugs. It's essentially a tension wrench with a head that swivels so you can turn it from a more graspable position. It's also only $12, so I say, OK, just to get it over with, I'll take it.
So, I get home, spend 20 minutes trying to get the thing to work. Finally, after days and what seem like MONTHS of trying to get this lug off, I feel it give. And it gives some more. And eventually the lug comes off…
And NOTHING happens!
It turns out the lug was completely useless, and the soft piping was caulked into the sink, and is impossible to remove. Which probably violates building codes, by the way, but that's is SO the last thing on my mind at this point.
Now near tears (not really, actually, it was a very educational experience, being forced to both be mechanical and keep Zen), I realized my only hope was to alter the actual soft piping that was on the sink, rather than install the new piece.
Back to the drawing board, only now I'm a lot wetter.
So, I notice the whole reason the screw wouldn't screw onto the adaptor in the first place was that there's a little fake washer thing that prevents the tube from pulling out, that's preventing it from closing. So I cut it off, and spent another 20 minutes – seemingly my favorite time interval – trying to get it out of the screw. No go. Sacrificing the piece that came with the unit (I'll have to buy a new one when I move), I cut out a homemade piece of piping as the washer, wasted a whole tube of superglue that I'd been saving for the corals attaching it to the soft pipe, and then put it into the adaptor. It seems good, but, of course, if it doesn't work, now I'm double screwed because then I have no water.
SUCCESS!! I tried it out, opening the valve on the adaptor.
It worked. So well, in fact, that because I hadn't actually attached anything to the adaptor, like, say, an RO unit, cold, cold water shot out, right into my face and drenched my corduroys. Wet corduroys are not, a very pleasurable feeling.
Then, I spent another 20 minutes tightening all the attachments, because, after drying off (the floor was looking nice and clean at this point), I noticed that there was a leak at almost every possible point. Six cramped muscles later, I forced everything shut. I then used my Greek reading skills that I acquired in college – because the instructions for assembling the unit sure were written in ****ing English, that's for sure – and slowly but surely got everything working. It was almost an indicator of my pending success when a specific portion of the unit when I would completely douse myself or the floor. I guess it meant the water was flowing right and I just needed to tighten something.
So, in summary:
RO/DI unit to keep fish happy forever: $149
Shipping for said unit: $20
Useless adaptor thingy: $12
Plumber's whozit: $12
Super glue: $4
A completely bizarre story that no one who didn't live through will ever understand just how surreal the whole experience was, ESPECIALLY for fish: Priceless... eh, something, anyway.

pbienkiewi

WOW ! what a story.... Good thing when I bought my RO unit, the only thing I had to buy was a $6 Piece that screwed into my faucet then connected to my RO unit. My RO unit came with a adapter that I could connect to a garden hose faucet.

sleasia

Yeah, that's what I did...a garden hose faucet adapter onto the laundry room sink faucet....That was all.