RO Question

reefkeypr

I want to purchase a RO system but I live in an apartment and don't want to pemanently install. Can you just sit these units on the sink and use them ? Or is there more to it?
Thanks

bang guy

It's a PITA if you don't permanently install it.
As an alternative your could buy RO water or get a "Tap Water Purifier". Those might be more convenient for you.

gregzbobo

pardon my ignorance, PITA? And I am curious if this can be done too. My lfs only sells DI water, not RO. And I have seen those tap water purifiers in a catalog, not much life in them, and replacement filters way costly.

bang guy

Originally posted by gregzbobo
pardon my ignorance, PITA? And I am curious if this can be done too. My lfs only sells DI water, not RO.

PITA = Pain in the a$$
Di = 99.9% pure water. This is quite a bit better than RO water.

gregzbobo

Ah. Well, then the stuff I have been using is about .1 hairs shy of perfect! :) Thanks Bang Guy, good advice as usual.

reefkeypr

I use the tap water filter but I don't think it does a real good job on phosphates plus I only get about 25g per cartridge
Are RO units real tough to install then break down when I move?
Thanks

bang guy

Originally posted by ReefKeypr
I use the tap water filter but I don't think it does a real good job on phosphates plus I only get about 25g per cartridge
Are RO units real tough to install then break down when I move?
Thanks

Nope. Very easy to tap into a line and then turn off the tap when you move. You'll need a place to dispose of the waste water so under a kitchen sink is good.
If you only get 25 gal out of a TWP you may have really hard water. This would make RO pretty expensive too.