RO system

rcranf

I have a 125 gallon tank just wondering what type of ro system you would recommend. what brand, how many stages 2 3 or 4, and how many GPD do you think I need.
any thoughts??

shinobi9119

I, and many other people I know have a typhoon brand of RO units.
I have the typhoon RODI unit, it is 75 gpd, and it has 5 stages. It was 150 plus the TDS meter I bought.
Another good one is the typhoon 3 RODI, the only differnce between the typhoon and typhoon 3 is the tyhpoon 3 has more features and comes with a few more things. AIRWATERICE customer service is great. (they make the typhoon units)

jpkboca

You will get varying opinions on companies, but ask a reputable company and they are usually very good, such as airwaterice, thefilterguys, spectrapure, etc.
Im in the market myself, and looking at the filterguys as they have been very receptive to my questions, and I dont have to pay tax like airewaterice :)
Good luck.
Jeff

t316

Originally Posted by jpkboca
http:///forum/post/2717840
You will get varying opinions on companies, but ask a reputable company and they are usually very good, such as airwaterice, thefilterguys, spectrapure, etc.
Im in the market myself, and looking at the filterguys as they have been very receptive to my questions, and I dont have to pay tax like airewaterice :)
Good luck.
Jeff
+1 on the filterguys

They have great customer service & sometimes you will talk to one of the owners when you call. They speak "plain English" and will talk to you as if you have no idea what a filter is. This means a lot to me in today's world, when I can't even go to Su
ay and the girl behind the counter does not know what the word "lettuce" means.

shinobi9119

yes the filter guys are very good also, when I was looking for an RO unit they answered a few of my questions

aztec reef

All u need to know is, get at least a 4 stage unit. the rest is dependant on your financial limits.
As for the leading units, that would be from Spectrapure hands down...(costumer service is debatable)

florida joe

RO units are only as good as their filter media not matter what brand they are do your homework on what media you are getting and then go for the best bang for your buck
Filtration Stages
Different RO units feature a different number of filtration stages, generally between 2 and 4.
·2-stage RO units are light and compact, making them easy to store and move around. They contain a small inline pre-filter and the RO membrane. A good choice when space is limited, 2-stage units represent good value at an economical price.
·3-stage RO units are larger, and contain one or more large carbon or sediment pre-filters to protect the delicate membranes. They are high quality, excellent choices for regular use, and tend to last longer than the 2-stage units.
·4-stage RO units include an additional final step of deionization, taking the 3-stage unit to a higher level. The deionization unit removes the small amount of contaminants remaining, filtering the water to greater than 99.9%. This is the highest level of filtration available.
Membrane Types
There are several different types of membranes in today's RO units. Your decision may be partly based on whether or not your tap water contains chlorine.
·CTA - Cellulose Tri-Acetate membranes are organic and have a slightly lower removal rate of 88-94%. Because they are organic, use them only with chlorinated water (water from a municipal source) in order to keep them clean and free of damaging molds and bacteria. They do not filter out chlorine, so allow the chlorine to dissipate out of filtered water, or treat it with a chemical dechlorinator.
·TFC - Thin Film Composite membranes are synthetic and remove between 94-98%. These units contain a carbon pre-filter to protect the membrane from chlorine damage. Use these membranes for water with or without chlorine.
·High Removal Membranes are synthetic membranes with much higher removal rates, between 97.5-99%, and are especially adept at removing silicates. These units also contain a carbon pre-filter to protect the membrane from chlorine damage. Use these membranes for water with or without chlorine.

wangotango

I've got the 75gpd thefilterguys Ocean Wave. Great units, great customer service.
Typhoon, spectrapure, and airwaterice are all good brands too.
-Justin